Arne wildlife at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old October 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Arne wildlife

Snippets of film taken from filming at arne this year,sorry the file render has a little jitter in places.
Arne Wildlife on Vimeo
Most shots are from a a long distance hence moving footage not as steady as i would have liked.

Last edited by Martyn Hull; October 20th, 2008 at 01:40 AM.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Major Player

That's a nice start. What camera were you using? And the tripod? Perhaps some of that was handheld, but it often looked like you have the same problem as I do of keeping your hand on the tripod handle just in case the subject moves, and the result is that you get a bit of camera wobble instead.
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Trustee

Squirrels! It's got squirrels - how can it go wrong? ...Ah yes, could have more squirrels. (Only kidding.) What a great location. There's sure some nice wildlife round there, Martyn.

I feel your pain with the tripod work - you always want a longer lens for some of those shots, and it's so frustrating to only have 20x (in my case) and still seem so far away. And it's not necessarily possible to get any closer, physically, to the wildlife.

I'm hoping my new Sachtler helps with that sort of work. If I crank up the drag settings quite high, the wobble isn't anywhere near as bad as it was on the cheaper tripods I used to own. I can track a Jackdaw as it picks its way along a wall, at 30x zoom (using digital zoom on the V1) and the results are pretty good.

In my opinion, I think there's a limit to how good one can be with a lower end tripod, no matter how much practice you have. At least, there seems to be a limit to how good I can be with cheaper gear, anyway.... Not even elastic bands could make my 503HDV or Libec heads behave themselves at maximum zoom levels!

The other challenge is to get into the head of the animal and try to predict what it will do, when it will stop, when it will move. I can't think like a jackdaw, not just yet!
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Haycock View Post
That's a nice start. What camera were you using? And the tripod? Perhaps some of that was handheld, but it often looked like you have the same problem as I do of keeping your hand on the tripod handle just in case the subject moves, and the result is that you get a bit of camera wobble instead.
Only FX-7 and velbon V-700 Annie,ashamed to say its far from a start but i do struggle still with moving things 200 to 400 plus metres away which most of this was on max 1122mm 35 equivalent zoom,in my defence the setup is not heavy enough for rock steady material but after a long hike with it its all the weight i think i could manage now.Thanks very much for sending.
Mike your reply was not there when i started replying here,the miller Arrow 40 2840£ wow i could probobly get a bit steadier shots with one but would need a caddy to carry it.
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Major Player

What do you mean ONLY an FX-7? A max 1120mm 35mm equivalent is more than I've got! And anyway, it is the way you use the camera that counts, rather than the technical specifications.

Tripods are another matter, and I'm looking to upgrade at least my tripod head from the Manfrotto 701. The 50mm levelling head that fits my Manfrotto 190Pro also isn't man enough for the job, so I guess I'm going to have to get a whole new tripod set-up anyway. And when you're only 5 foot 1 inch tall, it's not only the weight that is a problem, but the bulk too.
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Trustee

It's taken me many years to get the Sachtler, Martyn! The Miller I'm sure is great, and costs twice what mine cost... there's always something to aspire to!

I chose the V1 (the big brother of the FX7) over the Canon A1 for several reasons, but one was the slightly longer reach of the stock lens. And I'm still not happy about that, I always want more.

Annie - you hit the nail on the head when you mention the bulk and the weight. The Sachtler comes with fantastic, lightweight carbon fibre legs, but the head is an absolute monster. You would have to sacrifice performance if you were hiking for days.

I'm glad I decided to stop eating pies a few years ago and start working out, at least I can carry all my gear without needing a Sherpa now!
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
What do you mean ONLY an FX-7? A max 1120mm 35mm equivalent is more than I've got! And anyway, it is the way you use the camera that counts, rather than the technical specifications.

Tripods are another matter, and I'm looking to upgrade at least my tripod head from the Manfrotto 701. The 50mm levelling head that fits my Manfrotto 190Pro also isn't man enough for the job, so I guess I'm going to have to get a whole new tripod set-up anyway. And when you're only 5 foot 1 inch tall, it's not only the weight that is a problem, but the bulk too.
The FX-7 is one of the most basic prosumer cams thats all i meant,following moving objects [ie fighting Deer 400 mts away]without some shake with a velbon 700 is a job ,plus the file render makes slight movment even worse,i have managed a few wildlife competition wins but it is one of the most difficult subjects.
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:49 AM   #8
Major Player

I meant that there is nothing wrong with an FX-7. All cameras have their limitations. You should be working to get the best out of what equipment you have, and improving on that equipment as and when. Wildlife is a demanding subject. It's the only subject I shoot, but I don't expect to be able to do the same kinds of things that others do with higher-end cameras. But I do aim to get quality results from what I can do. Fieldcraft, luck (you make 90% of your own luck in this game) and knowing your equipment are the main components of good quality results.
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
I chose the V1 (the big brother of the FX7) over the Canon A1 for several reasons, but one was the slightly longer reach of the stock lens. And I'm still not happy about that, I always want more.
I'm glad I decided to stop eating pies a few years ago and start working out, at least I can carry all my gear without needing a Sherpa now!
Try the Century 2x converter with the V1. The extra reach is tremendous, but so is the weight. The converter has to be supported, or the load on the camera bayonet causes visible distortion of the camera body!

I originally hoped to get away with using the 2x converter from my previous camera - a Canon XM2 - but the addition of the 62/58 mm adaptor created various focus and distortion problems.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:15 PM   #10
Trustee

Hi Alan,

I have the Century 2x on my shopping list once I recover from the new tripod and Rode blimp. I've investigated the cheaper ones (Raynox, approx £200) but I don't think I'd be happy.

Plus it needs rails for support, more expense. With VAT, the Century is around the £1000 mark, isn't it? Add on the supports and it's probably best part of £1500. Unless I'm missing something! Are there any specific support rails that you can recommend?

I wondered if it would be more cost effective in the long run to get a 35mm adapter kit, but that is another story.

Moneymoneymoney - still saving the pennies....!
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM   #11
Major Player

The lens comes with a support bracket to fit the standard 15mm rails. True lens Services do a rail kit at around £200.

I have made my own support from 2 30 cm lengths of a U shaped channel in Aluminium (from B&Q) with two 3 mm Al plates on the upper surfaces - one for a Manfrotto sliding plate system to carry the camera on a PLONG plate, the other carries the converter support. A third Al plate on the lower surface carries the sliding plate to fit to the tripod head.

The camera and tripod plates are offset so that I can balance the camera with, or without, the heavy converter using the PLONG plate.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:12 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
I meant that there is nothing wrong with an FX-7. All cameras have their limitations. You should be working to get the best out of what equipment you have, and improving on that equipment as and when. Wildlife is a demanding subject. It's the only subject I shoot, but I don't expect to be able to do the same kinds of things that others do with higher-end cameras. But I do aim to get quality results from what I can do. Fieldcraft, luck (you make 90% of your own luck in this game) and knowing your equipment are the main components of good quality results.
I dont think you listened to my point,if you can film fighting and running deer 400 mts away on max zoom with a velbon without slight movement so be it .Yes wildlife is demanding i try to get resonable results like you and a film about kingfishers 4 years ago with a sony 2100 won me my best cup,the bits of film on this link were mainly to show the arne reserve than my filming prowess.
If there is a wind of any kind the fx-7 on my present tripod will give camera movement without it being touched on high zoom.
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:21 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
Squirrels! It's got squirrels - how can it go wrong? ...Ah yes, could have more squirrels. (Only kidding.) What a great location. There's sure some nice wildlife round there, Martyn.
Squirrels AND bunnies!!!
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kraus View Post
Squirrels AND bunnies!!!
come on dont forget the tweeties and deeries.
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #15
Major Player

Another couple of minutes,one clip a longer version of one on the first link.Some SR/12 bits as well.These wild Sikas know no boundaries they often encroach to adjoining fields to feed rut atc.
This is a private video on Vimeo
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land