Quick leveling for static shots at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old October 31st, 2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Quick leveling for static shots

I won’t be surprised if this is a common practice and you all know that but it is new to me so I thought I will share it.

I am working on a project filming static subjects (bats). I need to change position every few minutes and also keep changing lenses. Trying to level the camera using the bubble level on the tripod proved to be too difficult and time consuming.

I bought this cheap tiny bubble level and attached it with a small piece of Velcro as seen in the picture.
It is so much easier and quicker to level the camera now – I just release the big screw in the tripod bowl.
This will work only for static shots – not for panning as the tripod+camera combo can not be leveled this way.
Cheers,

Ofer Levy Nature Photographer
Attached Thumbnails
Quick leveling for static shots-ex3-level.jpg  
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It's interesting to see someone with a similar solution. Since I use a mike attached to the hot shoe I put the level on top of a Series 7 battery. I tried Velcro but it pulled off so now I just use packing tape and replace the tape as needed.
Dale
Dale Bohlke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #3
Major Player

This manfrotto ball camera leveller works beautifully and is very quick at levelling a head

Manfrotto 438 - BALL CAMERA LEVELLER 3/8

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #4
Major Player

I use a level that was designed for use in the hotshoe of my stills cameras. It slides into the accessory shoe of the Canon XH-A1 (but not the accessory shoes on Sony cameras because Sony has to make things different sizes). However, I now have a deadcat on the microphone, and this does partially obscure the accessory shoe.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land