DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Camera protection over sea water (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/140337-camera-protection-over-sea-water.html)

Jake Latendresse December 26th, 2008 08:59 PM

Camera protection over sea water

I am headed to the Carribean to film a fishing project and was wondering if you guys and gals could offer some suggestions on protecting my camera from sea salt and corrosion.

Thanks
Jake

Perrone Ford December 26th, 2008 09:11 PM

Be helpful to know what kind of camera. Also be good to know if you want to buy or rent a solution. Or rather what your budget for this protection should cost.

Jake Latendresse December 26th, 2008 09:43 PM

I will be carrying a Sony Z7, a Nikon D300 and a Sony HC7 (which I have an Ikelite housing for).

Budget to protect?...well, Im open to all ideas from A to Z.

Jake Latendresse December 26th, 2008 09:56 PM

How about a Porta Brace QS-M4 Quick Slick for the Z7?

Carlos Peral December 26th, 2008 10:08 PM

Protecting Camera

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Latendresse (Post 984368)
I am headed to the Carribean to film a fishing project and was wondering if you guys and gals could offer some suggestions on protecting my camera from sea salt and corrosion.

Thanks
Jake

Please ask to caperproducciones@hotmail.com with Carlos Peral he is an excellent videographer in Cancun...he cuold help you

Rick L. Allen December 28th, 2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Jake, use a Portabrace, Kata, etc. camera cover whenever you are on the water. This will protect your camera from salt spray. At the end of the day wipe down the camera with a damp cloth (using distilled water) to help remove salt crystals and spray. Keep your u/w camera in the housing at all times and give the camera time to acclimate whenever moving it from your air conditioned room or vice versa before shooting or opening the housing.

Kenneth Burgener December 29th, 2008 09:35 AM

Fishing

Dear Jake,

Well here is my idea. I have a Sport Utility Box that I got at Wall Mart for $8. They have a seal and are strong plastic. I keep my camera inside when I travel. I have three of these. When in a boat, you will be rocking around all the time. I have put foam swimming noodles inside to brace my equipment inside the box. Make sure to keep the lid closed. I have seen people wet from sea water, stand over a camera bag and drip water into the bags.

I just got a Seal Line See Bag 10L at Bass Pro Shop for about $15 dollars. I have not figured out how to shoot out of the bag, but I can work all the controls. You can also get bigger bags and store your clothes inside of these bags.

(Remember !!!!!!! This is from the guy who just spent $900 to get his camera fixed because of rain. See Wet Central America)
Ken

Tripp Woelfel December 29th, 2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

...protecting my camera from sea salt and corrosion.

Spray has been covered in the other posts, but that's only part of the issue. As someone who used to have yacht business, what will kill your camera over time is the salt in the air. That's why all marine electronics used above deck are sealed. Yes, it protects against the spray too.

I had a Sony that I used for aboard for years before it ultimately packed up. Since it wasn't worth repairing I pulled it apart. The circuit boards all had a sickly green patina to them indicating corrosion was everywhere.

My point is that the more you can seal your camera from the salt air, the more it can reward you with long life.

Buck Forester December 29th, 2008 11:38 PM

I have a Ewa-Marine bag for my EX1... haven't actually used it around water yet but I've played around with it and it might be what you're looking for, but of course each one is model-specific. I got mine for protection while kayaking, as well as backpacking trips on the beach (sand and salt) and the occasional dunking in a stream. It's a very expensive plastic bag though, but it seems substantial enough. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t