Filming peregrine falcons - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 27th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I also enjoyed your Peregrine clip. Nicely done Neil. Raptors are my favorite of all wildlife subjects and the Peregrine is one of my favorite raptors.
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #17
Trustee

Neil, that was very nice to watch, I think you did very well take into consideration your equipment!
Looking forward to this year footage with the XL-H1A.

I'm using the "old" XL-H1 for wildlife. Steve's advice about the kind of lens is good. I will quess that at the 400mm end for a distance of 100-200m you'll get almost the same close-ups as you got with the birding scope! Remember that you'll have a "magnification" factor of 7.2 when using the ef-adapter. So at the 400mm end you will be at + 2800mm.

You'll definitive need a good support for this set-up. Get the best tripod you can afford. You didn't tell what kind of support you where using on the vimeo footage, which was pretty good! But remember, the H1a will be much more heavy, so a robust tripod/head is recommended.
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
You'll definitive need a good support for this set-up. Get the best tripod you can afford.
Tripod support is an issue here. The original set-up used a cheap tripod which I obtained with the birding telescope - you will have noted from the footage that some of the shots were unsteady because of wind buffeting. The closer of the two vantage points is on a very steep and uneven slope so ideally I would use a tripod with spiked legs for extra security. There is a sheer 70 foot drop immediately to the left so the equipment will be vulnerable. Some people have helpfully advised on tripod heads - what legs should I invest in, bearing in mind that I wish to keep the set-up light enough to be portable with one person carrying the gear across rough country ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
Here is another approach you might think about, although it wouldn’t work for me. I met a man from Utah that had worked at a Peregrine nest. He convinced researchers that were using ropes to band the fledglings to place a wireless mic with a large battery pack under a rock about two feet from the nest.
This may be an option, Mike. The young birds have been ringed the last two years and I know the licensed ringer well enough that this kind of arrangement might be feasible. At one point we considered setting up a webcam near the nest - there is no major reason why we couldn't set up a mic or leave a recorder near the nest ledge.

Neil
Neil Grubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi Neil,

I use two different tripod and both would suit you, check out the following;

• Manfrotto 542ART Road Runner Carbon Fibre Tripod with Mid-Leg Spreader teamed with a Manfrotto 526 Professional Fluid Head
• Miller HD 925 Legs with 990 Mid-Leg Spreader teamed with a Miller Arrow 55HD Fluid Head

The Manfrotto will hold up to 15kgs and the Miller up to 25kgs. The Manfrotto is littler and a third of the cost! Very good though!

If using telephoto or 35mm still lenses then a support will be required! Ronsrail was it but is sadly no longer in business, however the really right stuff have an equal alternative that I now use!

Kennan Ward Super-Tele Package and Fore/Aft Plate for Canon Camcorder

Hope this helps a bit!

Happy shooting,

Paul

EDIT: Meant: Lighter not littler!!! Must be tired!!!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land