DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Driving from London to Milan area (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/142884-driving-london-milan-area.html)

Ian Stark February 2nd, 2009 03:26 AM

Driving from London to Milan area

Not sure if this is the right forum but I'll give it a whirl.

In a few weeks time I am shooting some corporate material in various locations around Milan.

When we have shot in Europe before we have sometimes turned it into a mini road-trip and taken a couple of days to get there and a couple of days to get back. It's nice to see things from ground level for a change.

However, it just occurred to me that we have never done one of these trips in the winter. I have driven around northern Italy at this time of year in the past and remember it being very foggy, but my concern is more to do with the drive there. Someone has just suggested that I might need snow chains and I wonder if that really is the case. We won't be going off major routes.

Of course I will contact the AA and do some other research, but I was wondering if there is anyone with direct experience who can give me some advice. I drive a Chrysler Grand Voyager.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Gilles Debord February 6th, 2009 05:06 AM

Hi Ian

Normaly in winter north Italy is foggy, Milano more the rest, you have a risk to encounter snow and ice, the best is to take snow chains, i come back from spain with snow and ice and we drived 500 Km with the new generation of snow chains (composit snow chains) they grip on ice and are easy to mount. that's a Kevlar net polyurethane compound coated, with steel rings grip. The trade mark is (Michelin composite easy grip) the price is between 50€ and 120€ (size function) you can bought it on the net here is a link where i bought it.

PNEUS ONLINE - Pneus, Pneu, Pneus en ligne, Pneus discount, Pneus pas cher, Pneus auto

Regards

Gilles

Ian Stark February 6th, 2009 05:35 AM

Merci, Gilles! I will have to look into snow chains more closely. Is that the cost per chain or for a set of four?

Gilles Debord February 6th, 2009 07:15 AM

The price is for a set of two (a pair), you mount the chains only on the power wheels, if the car is 4*4 i have no informations (2 or 4 wheels), but front wheels seems to be the best choice.
With chains drive smoothly and slowly no more 50 Km/h.

Gilles

Ian Stark February 6th, 2009 07:18 AM

Ah yes, that makes sense, thanks Gilles. I could have used chains here in the UK this week!

No more than 50Km/h?! Oh, no!!

Vasco Dones February 6th, 2009 09:35 AM

Hi Ian,

will you be driving through Switzerland? (guess so)
Then you know what to expect... - and if you happen to
drive by a little town called "Mendrisio", some 15 km south of Lugano,
please waive to my former neighbors...
And since you'll be spending a few days in Italy...: buon appetito!

ciao!

Vasco

Ian Stark February 6th, 2009 10:08 AM

Hehehe - if we do decide to drive, I will certainly do that!

Hope everything is good with you and your family, Vasco. Did you get your documentary finished? Believe it or not I am STILL working on the video I made in Rockville. Boy, this is a tough client! However, they have asked me back later in the year so hopefully I can buy you that beer!

Cheers!

Ian . . .

Vasco Dones February 6th, 2009 12:35 PM

Yep, Ian, I'm done with that short doc.: it aired on Inauguration Day.
Now I'm getting ready to work on another small project up in Detroit
(snow?, freezing cold? - who cares, I'm Swiss!).
Well, see ya in Rockville, then!
Have fun in Milan (don't forget to lock your car)

Vasco