How about the EX-1 with DOF adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old February 9th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How about the EX-1 with DOF adaptor

Even thought I shoot with an EX-1, I've been following the EX-3 thread here with interest. I'm a videographer by trade, mostly corporate, real estate and commercial. Two years ago I rekindled my passion for nature photography with the purchase of a Nikon D50. I've since moved up to a D300 with a 80-400 lense and have added photography in my list of services. I have started experimenting with the EX-1 when out on nature shoots but of course, want more reach. I am considering purchasing one of the DOF 35mm lense adaptors so I can use my Nikon lenses on the EX-1. I appreciate any thoughts or feedback, especially from those who have used or are using this setup in the field for nature and wildlife. Thanks in advance.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #2

I have a Letus Extreme that I use with my EX1, combined with a large collection of Canon FD lenses. I would offer the following opinion on the setup:

The rig is very heavy. Handholding is a real stretch over extended periods.
Maximum shutter speed allowable without catching grain in the focusing screen is 1/60 sec.
The native DOF of the 1/2 inch optics are competitive with the DOF achieved with 35mm optics.
In order to achieve true telephoto images that exceed the native capability of the EX1 lens, some massive accessory lenses neeed to be employed, making the total weight totally unreasonable.
There is no image stabilization available with DOF adapters.
Fit and finish of the Letus Extreme is very crude and appears built in a garage.

All in all, I would recommend avoiding DOF adapters if you're looking for greater telephoto magnifications. The weight and lack of image stabilization makes long distance nature photography problemattic.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the input.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Mike.

If you just want the longer reach, you may be able to use an adaptor with the groundglass removed which will restore sharper resolution if the long lens you want to put on front is good.

One downside is that when shooting the "aerial image" instead of the groundglass image, you have to zoom right in with the camcorder to get inside the vignette of the telephoto lens exit pupil. I used a Sigma 50mm - 500mm f4 -f6.3 zoom on a 1/3" camera and the exit pupil was only just big enough.

This clip was shot with that lens via aerial image on a home-made adaptor. You will observe the the sharpness and colour rendition is a bit furry.There is also an iris vignette. I was trying to recover some sharpness as this lens is not happy wide-open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4rC5...e=channel_page

An upside for the Sony Z1 in aerial image mode is that provided you initially set your stills lens focus to infinity or to a known distance, then manually set your camcorder focus to sharpest image, your camcorder autofocus will work quite happily. This is great for chasing aeroplanes with short bursts of autofocus. However if a bug flies across the lens, the autofocus will crash to specks of dust on back of the still lens.

The autofocus on the EX1 is not as agile as the Z1 and may not work so well.

Another downside is that when using an adaptor to relay a stills lens into a smaller format videocamera, even in aerial image mode, the camera still "sees" the lens image as if it is a 35mm film camera. A lot of the telephoto advantage of the long lens is lost to the wider format.

A final downside is that even in aerial image relay, the extra 6 pieces of glass including prisms plus the camera's own inbuilt lens incurs a resolution loss. Don't get me wrong. It can be made to work but a long lens direct-to-camera via a custom mount is a better solution.

Cost-benefit wise, you might be better off trading the EX1 for the EX3, buying in a custom mount for your stills lenses and mounting direct to the EX3. If you have a custom mount made up, watch out for ambush by hot pins in the flange of the mount on the camera.

When Quyen Le was making up his first Canon XL adaptor his prototype mount touched the pins and the camera lens management electronics were damaged.

As an alternative, you might want to examine the new motion video capable DSLRs from Nikon and Canon.

Last edited by Bob Hart; February 9th, 2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: errors
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land