Shooting Wildlife with a longer reach on the EX-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old February 27th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #1
New Boot

Shooting Wildlife with a longer reach on the EX-1

Hello folks,

I've had a poke around an here looking for info on the letus and it's suitability with the EX-1. I went through a semi hijacked thread and left more confused than i started.

I currently shoot Nikon Stills lenses, and would like to use some of those to get a greater telephoto range.

I would have bought the EX-3 but i have to use the EX-1 underwater, so i'm hoping to be able to get an accessory for wildlife shooting on a tripod. Birds, Monkeys etc here in indonesia, and maybe some macro of bugs etc if possible.

Does anyone have an input, or can refer me to a relatively easy to understand article on this subject?

Cheers,

Simon
Simon Buxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Simon,
If you are interested to shoot wildlife with the EX3 - just get Mike Tapa's Nikon-EX3 adapter. Nikon to Sony EX3 adaptor

I have been using it for the last six months and it is a fantastic device. If you use top quality glass you will get great results.
If you are asking about using the EX1 for wildlife - I don't think there is much you can do with the stock zoom.
Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Ofer
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't think the 35mm adapters such as the Letus are particularly good for wildlife documentary work as they produce a slightly soft image.

I have the same problem as I would like an EX1 for underwater work but would have to buy an EX3 for topside shooting.

Andy
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks guys, so i guess my best option is to go with a teleconverter for now, and save up the pennies for an EX-3... although if a good underwater housing comes available for the EX-3 i might have to sell the EX-1 :)
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Buxton View Post
...although if a good underwater housing comes available for the EX-3 i might have to sell the EX-1 :)
Sony PMW EX3 camera with Equinox HD 10 underwater video housing. Not cheap but it works like a dream!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

They mention a ballast system but don't give the weight! This must weigh a ton to be neutrally bouyant at 10m. The tube is going to have a huge volume for a camera that size. This is why Gates have no reason to make a housing for the EX3. It is same camera as the EX1 which is much smaller.

Andy
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Major Player

I suppose it depends how deep you’re shooting. The difference in weight between the EX-1 & EX-3 is 1.8kgs. I tend to shoot in shallow water i.e. 33ft or less (10 metres). If you go deeper in my locality you won’t see much! My target species is Basking Shark, Coral and so forth.

At this moment in time name a better; under-water housing that suit the EX-3! I for one would love too know!

Happy shooting,

Paul
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The problem is not with the extra weight of the EX3 but its greater size making the volume of the housing much greater and hence the need for ballast to get it to sink!

Andy
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Davies View Post
They mention a ballast system but don't give the weight! This must weigh a ton to be neutrally bouyant at 10m. The tube is going to have a huge volume for a camera that size. This is why Gates have no reason to make a housing for the EX3. It is same camera as the EX1 which is much smaller.

Andy
the weight is listed as approximately 55 lbs
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #10
New Boot

Amphibico reportedly have one in the works for an EX-3.

I use a sealux with an EX-1, was shooting frogfish on overcrank today, was a lot of fun. Despite people slagging off the macro capabilities of the EX-1 i kinda like it. I got some full frame pygmy seahorse shots and they had very acceptable DOF and sharpness.

I honestly dont see how it could make sense to buy the EX-3 for underwater work unless you are doing u/w filming on a daily basis, it will be huge, heavy and expensive. The EX-1 is a much better bet for u/w - the stock lens on the EX-1 is great, plus the positioning of the EX-3 viewfinder isn't conducive for easy housing manufacture. I reckon the Equinox would be a PITA underwater, an aluminium cast housing will be the best way for ergonomics and handling.
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #11
Major Player

It is very heavy and the person passing the camera from a boat needs to have visited the gym on a regular basis! :)

I don't have an EX-1 just the EX-3 and opted for a water housing for that rather than purchasing an EX-1 and a housing!

It's hard work in the water being so big but you do get used to it. I don't do too much underwater shoots these days so I'm happy with the housing. If you dived regular then a lighter set-up probably be better.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land