DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Wildscreen UK short film for 'Bristols best kept secret' (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/145130-wildscreen-uk-short-film-bristols-best-kept-secret.html)

Mat Thompson March 4th, 2009 05:42 PM

Wildscreen UK short film for 'Bristols best kept secret'

Hi guys I thought I'd post a link to a film I made for Wildscreen short film competition last year. I was a finalist and got to spend the week at the festival to make this film under the topic of 'Bristols best kept secret'.

The film was shot in 1 day and edited in 5 hours and was shot with Panasonic HPX 170's supplied by Panasonic UK and Onsight the competitions sponsors. (Rules for this film comp)

The 5 finalists films were screened to over 250 people at the Wildscreen closing party and the award presented by BBC presenter Steve Leonard. I great experience all round albeit and very tiring one. - Note : I have slightly re-cut the original edit since then. The film was pre-written / researched and organised before the shooting day.

The 200 Million Year Secret - Short Film on Vimeo

Enjoy :-)

John Miller March 4th, 2009 07:10 PM

That's really great - very enjoyable. I lived in Bristol for seven years (mainly near the Clifton Downs) and regularly cycled around the (hilly) environs. Indeed, I used to walk past Quarry Rd almost every day! I graduated twice in the Wills Memorial Building.

Thanks for a wonderful video - lots of fond memories.

Sam Mendolia March 6th, 2009 11:23 AM

Definetly enjoyed watching this.

A full blown documentary, is in the calling here.

Now I wonder what they have up north, in the Durham area?

Mat Thompson March 17th, 2009 04:47 AM

Thanks for your comments guys. Yep I really grew fond of Bristol in the 3 days I was there!

Brendan Marnell March 17th, 2009 06:06 AM

That's a gem Mat, thank you. You made gentle upward and downward panning work beautifully with archaeology. After seeing lots of similar stuff on commercial channels I still found yours quite refreshing. Keeping the backgound music well under the voice helped a lot.

Helen Habib March 18th, 2009 10:46 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed the presentation Mat. I really liked the panning, use of rack focus and the angles - they were just excellent (especially in the lab, for instance, the overhead shot). Thanks for showing this.

Paul Kellett March 25th, 2009 03:09 AM

Excellent, i never knew about the "Bristol dinosaur" and it's my home town.

Paul.

Mat Thompson March 25th, 2009 10:16 AM

Thanks guys.

Paul....hey thats why its 'Bristols best kept secret' ;-) !!! Stay tuned for a longer format story, theres loads of interesting stuff to the theco story. 3 mins just doesnt do it justice!

Dale Guthormsen March 25th, 2009 05:17 PM

Matt,

Very nicely done!!! I really like the transitions along with the really well shot footage!!!

Simon Wyndham April 8th, 2009 11:26 AM

Good stuff. Was that Colin Day narrating? Great bloke to work with.

Mat Thompson April 16th, 2009 04:40 AM

Dale - many thanks

Simon - Yes it is Colin and yes he was very helpfull on this project and comes highly reccomended :-)

Mat Thompson April 16th, 2009 04:55 AM

Dale - many thanks

Simon - Yes it is Colin and yes he was very helpfull on this project and comes highly reccomended :-)