DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Natural Environments in 3D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/145767-natural-environments-3d.html)

Helen Habib March 13th, 2009 04:41 PM

Natural Environments in 3D

I've also posted this in the 3D section, and I hope it's alright to mention it here too.

When I'm filming an area, for example the coast or a river and in the video I'd like to demonstrate that removing mangrove will make the inland area vulnerable, a fine way to do this would be by means of an animated 3D replica of the very area, such as showing the sea level rising and a storm surge pushing inland and so on.

So I'm thinking of investing in Vue 7 Infinite (e-on software - Vue 7 Infinite) to create animated natural environments.

I've got the Ulead 3D Production Studio software and it has been useful in doing some titling, but the learning curve is very steep and it seems to be more suited to logos and titles and other kinds of effects. Has anyone had experience using Vue 7 software and is the learning curve steep or is it relatively user-friendly?

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts about it. (Take a look at the demo video on the web page - just awesome.) Or if you have had experience with another program which has been very effective I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks.

Mat Thompson March 16th, 2009 08:10 AM

Hi Helen

I'm a freelance 3d artist/animator. I use 3dsmax not Vue but all I can say is that producing the sort of sequences your talking about is not just about knowing software. The software is really just a toolbox. I know there are some 'push-button' landscaping solutions within some 3d programs but they will still rely on a plethera of 3d related knowledge to turn out pro looking sequences.

Now I'm not saying don't go down this road. What I'm saying is be prepared to have to put in a lot of time on both the software and general understanding of 3d principles (Modelling/Texturing/Lighting/Animation etc). In my opinion 3d software is some of the most complex you will ever learn and this is why in larger studios all of the disciplines mentioned above are actually separate roles.

If you decide its the way to go then good luck and if you need any pointers just ask !

Mat

Helen Habib March 16th, 2009 10:10 AM

Mat, thanks for your reply. I'd suspected that it would take a great deal of time and effort to learn 3D and am willing to go down that road. I looked at a few programs (including 3D Max) and decided that this one, being specifically built for environmental scenes, was the one to choose.

They have tutorials online (at a site called geek at play) plus there's a book about it entitled "Vue 7 From The Ground Up".

I also tried Blender, but found it difficult to understand. I have the Ulead 3D program as I said before, and a DVD tutorial from VASST, however, it's not specifically built for environmental scenes. Although I know I have to learn the principles of 3D, I'd still appreciate a program having features that would contribute to an overall nature look.