any one that have build an underwater house? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old May 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

any one that have build an underwater house?

I have an HV20 that I'm serious thinking of building a underwater house to. Any one that have don this and can give some tip?
I want the house to handle depths to at least 30 feet. Will it be possible?
John S. Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Not too put a dampner on you but I would buy one. Ikelite would do something that is pretty cost effective.

Building a housing isn't easy, takes a heap of time (if you want access to most controls) and would you trust your cam at 30m to it?
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Found this the other day, I might get the snorkelbox kit for the GH-1.

http://robbmoffett.googlepages.com/n...o&videogallery

Last edited by Luke Tingle; May 18th, 2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: doh! no link
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Maybe your right, I shouldn't build one, but I'm kind of handy, and loves to build stuffs so I see it as a challenge to build it.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

and maybe I should settle whit lower specifications than 30feet, and building a "snorkelbox".

Btw, I don't kneed to reach al the controls, my idea is to put it in the house, then press the record-button on the remote, and then start to film.
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #6
Trustee

I use the Scubacam housing for the Canon XL camcorders.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

underwater housing

i have built a housing using pvc pipe and thick tempered glass..all the pieces have to be very well thought out and o rings installed at facory edges.. there are a few sights that offer how to do it but if you really care about your camera its best to buy one
Trevor Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Most Cost Effective

I've wanted to build a housing for years myself and I'm highly considering going to school to learn to weld aluminum. However, if your looking the best bang for you buck for a water housing that you can dive with then check out Aquatix: Underwater Camcorder Housings, Video Housings, and Accessories for Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Kayaking and Watersports

I've used their mechanical housing and it works wonders. Rugged, reliable and just plain awesome. If your diving this is the best route however I've used mine as a splash housing with great results

Best part is that you can customize your housing for 50 bucks more or it might be more since I ordered mine. Definitely check them out and send an e-mail. Do not get an epic water housing. Complete garbage and a cheap-o version of an aquatix water housing. Hope this helps if you decide to skip the DIY route.
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I have had good results with this housing (mechanical version) using a canon HV30
Aquatix: Underwater Camcorder Housings, Video Housings, and Accessories for Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Kayaking and Watersports
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Nice

Well there you go, John your the first person I've read that has used an Aquatix as well. Here is a video I shot on christmas eve in 39 degree water of surfing/bodyboarding in New Jersey. In fact, this day I got rocked so hard by a wave that the shock from the lip of the wave ripped the housing out of my hands and i had the rubber grips that slid over the handles in my hands but my housing was pounded down shore. I ran for my life to grab it and there wasn't a thing wrong with it. Just rugged and works.

Enjoy the video, I will advise the choice of music has explicit lyrics here and there but if you choose to watch and scratch the music just turn down the volume!

Bodyboarding Christmas Eve 2006 on Vimeo
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Mike, yep its a real hidden secret it seems..not the cheapest but not the most expensive by any means and for the price it rocks, very solid unit.
John Abbey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land