DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   EX3, Osprey at nest (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/236923-ex3-osprey-nest.html)

Jerry Merrell June 7th, 2009 07:20 PM

EX3, Osprey at nest

This short clip was captured with a Sony EX3, 1080p, 30fps, Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 lens and Mike Tapa adapter.

Osprey at nest on Vimeo

Jerry

Dale Guthormsen June 7th, 2009 07:54 PM

Nice close up footage of the oprey. I was just waiting for her to pull her egg in under her.

color looked just a little bleached, drop the gamma a hair and it would likly be totally awesome!! Or perhaps the osprey is bleached from setting in the sun all the time, the feathers are a year old.

Look forward to some footage of feeding the eyasses.

thanks for sharing!

Ofer Levy June 9th, 2009 06:43 AM

Nice clip Jerry. Looks sharp to me with good detail in the white. Contrast looks a bit low - was that taken in an overcast day? I am sure it can be fix in post.
I know that uploading a clip on Vimeo can make it look washed out - have a look in here (have't tried in myself though)
http://exposureroom.com/members/Marc...orials/post/34

Ofer
Ofer Levy Photography

Steve Phillipps June 9th, 2009 09:43 AM

Sure is a sharp camera and lens combo, nice and steady too. Have you got a 500 or 600 lens there too so you can get some tight head shots?!
Not sure I agree with Ofer, I think it's a bit burnt out in the whites. It's amazing how much you can stop down to keep the white from clipping and still have good shadow detail after grading.
Steve

Gilles Debord June 10th, 2009 06:59 AM

Very nice clip but increase a little bit Gamma and Saturation.

Regards

Gilles

Brendan Marnell June 20th, 2009 06:42 AM

Close study of nestlife in a few seconds Jerry.

Was the light strong or very strong?

May I sidetrack your thread briefly in the hope of learning something from Steve who lives in my latitude ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1156185)
............. I think it's a bit burnt out in the whites. It's amazing how much you can stop down to keep the white from clipping and still have good shadow detail after grading.
Steve

I'm not sure how "stopping down" works (on VIE for me) and would appreciate a brief explanation of what you mean Steve and how to do it, please? A longer explanation would be even more welcome but you may have better things to do. I'm thinking of videoing gannets off the Irish coast; when I tried this last year on a bright day with XL2 my clips were all evenly washed out .... your specific advice to the point would be appreciated?

Steve Phillipps June 20th, 2009 08:34 AM

Closing the aperture down (ie reducing the exposure). This will make the whites less burnt out but will also of course darken the mid-tones and shadows. These can be pulled up in the edit though - to a certain extent, it is a balancing act to get detail in highlights and shadows especially in bright sunlight and with a white subject! This is why there are settings for a lot of the pro cameras that stretch the dynamic range resulting in a very flat looking picture but one that contains the most information in whites and blacks ready to work on in post.
Not sure how the V1e works, but there's obviously a manual iris control. If you have zebras, setting it to 100% will tell you what's burnt out white with no detail, ideally your highlights should be below this level - again not always possible while still retaining shadow or mid-tone detail.
Steve

Brendan Marnell June 20th, 2009 04:22 PM

Thank you Steve. I'm reading up on zebra and peaking; why I didn't get this into my head when the days were short & dull I don't know.

I'm looking forward to more Osprey, Jerry; it's a bird of prey of which I have not even a still.

Steve Phillipps June 20th, 2009 04:29 PM

Peaking is a viewfinder adjustment that has no effect on the recorded picture, it adds a lot of contrast around edges that are in focus so helping you to focus.
Zebras traditionally used to be set for about 70% for shooting people and the idea was to get rid of the zebras from the subject's skin areas giving good skin exposure. Now it's often used to keep the whites below the clipping level (ie the area where they are pure white with no detail information in them) which is generally 100% but can be more if the camera's settings are adjusted (typically to 109% on BBC settings).
Steve