VIXIA HF20 and WP-V1 Waterproof Case at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 21st, 2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VIXIA HF20 and WP-V1 Waterproof Case

Howdy folks,

I'm in the market for a camera that I can shoot travel docs with. The last time I was on the road I lugged around a Canon XL1 and while I was happy with it the size of the camera leaves much to be desired if I decide to do any hiking. On my next foray on the road I will be bringing with me snorkeling gear as well as a kayak so I needed something waterproof.

I came across the above mentioned package from Canon. The VIXIA HF20 with a WP-V1 Waterproof Case both selling at very reasonable prices considering most underwater housings run almost double what this combined package would cost. Now I'm no Jacques Cousteau so I really don't want anything over the top fancy but I don't want to buy any junk either.

My needs include the ability to shoot in HD. (I can't be more specific as I am still familiarizing myself with the technology) Underwater/waterproof housing. Transportability for multi-night treks into the bush.

Basically I'm traveling in an old VW bus touring different countries. It's a simple setup with just me and possibly one other person but not always. During these trips I will hike into areas like the Copper Canyon in Mexico, kayak Baja California and snorkel the Belizean reefs. I need to protect the camera in the event the kayak tips or if I get hit with a rainstorm out in the bush. I also want to protect the camera from dust and dirt.

Does anyone have any experience using this equipment? Do you have any recommendations for other gear that you would bring along such as filters, tripods, monopods, wireless mics, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scott
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Scott: My impression is that this forum is for towed-artillery rather than shoulder fired weapons. These folks may be more inclined to respond: Canon HV20, HV30 & HV40 User Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Jim
Jim Cancil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cancil View Post
Scott: My impression is that this forum is for towed-artillery rather than shoulder fired weapons. These folks may be more inclined to respond: Canon HV20, HV30 & HV40 User Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Jim
Now that's funny. :) Cheers, I'll post over there. Wasn't really sure where to post this one but I've seen some sample footage from the camera and housing and it looks fine for what I want to do with it.
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land