DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Pied Kingfisher hovering, EX3, slow motion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/237765-pied-kingfisher-hovering-ex3-slow-motion.html)

Ofer Levy June 22nd, 2009 05:30 AM

Pied Kingfisher hovering, EX3, slow motion

Hi all,

Here is a short clip of a Pied Kingfisher I shot in Israel last month. 720 25p, 60 fps, -3 gain, 180 degrees Shutter Speed, stock lens, Nikon 200-400 G VR, Nikon 600 ED f5.6. The Nikon lenses were mounted on the EX3 using Mike Tapa's adaptors. Mounts and Adaptors
Looks much nicer on my Mac.

Critique/comments/suggestions are very welcome.

Video Gallery

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Photography

Gilles Debord June 22nd, 2009 10:09 AM

Hi

Beautiful and really impressive, a feat with a 600 mm.

Gilles

Mike Blumberg June 22nd, 2009 12:57 PM

Vary nice, Vary nice.

Mike B

John Abbey June 23rd, 2009 02:25 PM

you are one hell of a great bird photographer ! cant imagine how many hrs you have to wait to get your shots.

Brendan Marnell June 23rd, 2009 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lovely study Ofer and a pleasure to watch, thank you.

Your flight shot of the the bee-eater is marvellous ... after hundreds of attempts here's one of my better ones

Ofer Levy June 23rd, 2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Abbey (Post 1162461)
cant imagine how many hrs you have to wait to get your shots.

Thanks for the kind words guys!
John, it took me 2x3 hours session/day for 4 days to get these shots. The hardest part is to find the birds in the viewfinder.

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Photography

Gilles Debord June 24th, 2009 12:42 AM

Hi Ofer

You don't use a red/green point finder with the long lens?

Gilles

Ofer Levy June 24th, 2009 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles Debord (Post 1162661)
Hi Ofer

You don't use a red/green point finder with the long lens?

Gilles

Hi Gilles, no I haven't trid this yet. The thing is that with BIF you don't have time to move your eye from this device to the viewfinder as you will lose the bird. Doing it the way I do you don't move your eye off the viewfinder.
For static shots I am sure the finder should be great.

Gilles Debord June 24th, 2009 02:46 AM

The next week in Spain i try the "Vuzix AV920" and the red point in place of the viewfinder. You can see "red point" above the "iglass" and you dont have to go from the RP to the viewfinder.

Results in ten days.

Gilles

Ofer Levy June 24th, 2009 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles Debord (Post 1162705)
The next week in Spain i try the "Vuzix AV920" and the red point in place of the viewfinder. You can see "red point" above the "iglass" and you dont have to go from the RP to the viewfinder.

Results in ten days.

Gilles

Thaat's great Gilles! Looking forward to see your report.

Thanks mate,
Regards,

Ofer

Mike Sims June 24th, 2009 06:47 AM

That’s a really interesting idea Gilles. I’m also looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it in the field.

Ofer- I’ve never used the green laser with flying birds but I have used a red one with goat-suckers at night with some success. The problem during the daytime is seeing the laser dot against the bright sky. When the target is against a dark enough background I don’t usually have to lift my eye from the viewfinder to reacquire it. I just use my free eye to steer the dot. I only have to look up when I’ve completely lost the bird. Once I’ve found it I’m steering with the laser at the same time I’m looking back to the viewfinder. It saves a bit of time. Hope that helps. For BIF I’m using one of those finders that project a red dot on to a reticle. I mount it right above the viewfinder and, even so, I have to move my eye back and forth. It’s a pain.

I should have told you both long ago how much I’m enjoying your posts. Great work guys!

Ofer Levy June 24th, 2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sims (Post 1162747)
That’s a really interesting idea Gilles. I’m also looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it in the field.

Ofer- I’ve never used the green laser with flying birds but I have used a red one with goat-suckers at night with some success. The problem during the daytime is seeing the laser dot against the bright sky. When the target is against a dark enough background I don’t usually have to lift my eye from the viewfinder to reacquire it. I just use my free eye to steer the dot. I only have to look up when I’ve completely lost the bird. Once I’ve found it I’m steering with the laser at the same time I’m looking back to the viewfinder. It saves a bit of time. Hope that helps. For BIF I’m using one of those finders that project a red dot on to a reticle. I mount it right above the viewfinder and, even so, I have to move my eye back and forth. It’s a pain.

I should have told you both long ago how much I’m enjoying your posts. Great work guys!

Thanks for the input and kind words Mike!
I have tried to get the green laser but it was intercepted by the Australian custom as it is illegal to use it in here. I am happy with my technique though - it works for me just fine.

John S. Cooper July 15th, 2009 03:10 PM

I just love this!

Bob Safay July 16th, 2009 04:16 PM

Ofer, that was incredable footage. How did you ever manage to hold steady on their heads for so long? Just outstanding. Bob

Ofer Levy July 17th, 2009 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Safay (Post 1172666)
Ofer, that was incredable footage. How did you ever manage to hold steady on their heads for so long? Just outstanding. Bob

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Bob, the first thing you have to do in order to get this kind of shot is obviousely get the object in the frame....(-:
Please refer to my thread "Finding the object in the frame" or something like that from a few months ago. I still feel that my technique is working and I use it all the time with great success.
The other important factor in keeping the shot steady is using a rubber band rather than touching the fluid head's handle. This is especially true when working with ultra long lenses and a static subject. (the bird in this clip is reasonably static).
The last thing is that when shooting in slow motion, even if you only manage to get the bird in the frame for 4-5 seconds you end up with a nice 8-10 second clip....(-:
Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Photography