Swallows at the nest - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #16
Regular Crew

how beaytiful isnīt that?
John S. Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #17
Major Player

You probably know NHBS better than I do but just in case your bat detector has just sprung a leak you may be interested in this ...

NHBS - For the best books on earth, worldwide

I was surprised to learn that Ireland has 10 bat species; do you really have 16?
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #18
Major Player

Brendan
There are some 1100 species of bat in the world, and most of them live in the tropics. We have about 40 in Europe, all insectivorous ones - fruit bats are only in the tropics. There are 17 species in mainland Britain, of which 12 occur regularly in Pembrokeshire, and 2 occasionally. One of those two is more common in Ireland (and parts of England) which the other probably hops across from Devon/Cornwall from time to time. The seventeenth species is the large mouse-eared bat which was only known at a hibernation site in south-east England, and the last one disappeared about ten years ago - died of old age probably. It was declared extinct in Britain, then a couple of years later another one turned up in the same hibernation site. It's quite common on the continent, but why some individuals choose to spend winter in Britain is anybody's guess. Pity we can't interview the bats!

And yes, I have bought many books from NHBS in the past. Don't buy so many now as I haven't got time to read them or places to store them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land