Osprey flying with a stick - slow motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 28th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Osprey flying with a stick - slow motion

Hi all,
Got this a few days ago about two hours drive from Sydney. For the last few weeks I have been filming a pair of Ospreys building their nest and mating. Awesome experience - well worth the trouble of getting up 3am and driving 2 hours in each direction almost every day. I am a bit exhausted though..)-:

This is one of my first attempts in getting them inflight. I got it in normal speed but it just doesn't look as nice and it is far more difficult to get the smooth movement. (Not that this one is prefect but I am working on it....(-: )

Video Gallery

Thanks in advance for watching and commenting,
Cheers,
Ofer Levy Photography
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Trustee

Very nice work, Ofer. I really like it!

It is often difficult to prevent the 'wave syndrome' of up & down movement of the lens during a smooth pan at extreme distance when aimed at a bird in flight, and this footage also shows it in the 7-9 second section; but it doesn't detract enough to be bothersome and the lovely landing sequence at the nest really makes it worthwhile watching.

What was the original shutter speed set at for this footage before slowing it down in post?

Ofer, I've just taken a quick surf over to your website. Wow! That is truly fabulous in-flight stills photography and well worth a second visit for a complete look at all the images.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
Very nice work, Ofer. I really like it!

It is often difficult to prevent the 'wave syndrome' of up & down movement of the lens during a smooth pan at extreme distance when aimed at a bird in flight, and this footage also shows it in the 7-9 second section; but it doesn't detract enough to be bothersome and the lovely landing sequence at the nest really makes it worthwhile watching.

What was the original shutter speed set at for this footage before slowing it down in post?

Ofer, I've just taken a quick surf over to your website. Wow! That is truly fabulous in-flight stills photography and well worth a second visit for a complete look at all the images.
Thanks for your comment and kind words Tony!
Nothing was done in post - all in camera as the Sony PMW EX3 can do slow motion in camera. The shutter speed was set to 180 degrees.
I agree with you regarding the "wave syndrom" and will work to improve it. It's 3:41 am here in Sydney and I am off to visit the Ospreys....(-:
Cheers,
Ofer
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Trustee

Good luck! I look forward to viewing the results. :)
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Beautiful shot, love the slow-mo!
Caleb Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #6
Major Player

Well recorded, as is all your work.

Like Tony looking forward to seeing the end results.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for your comments guys! I actually had a successful morning with them today as I managed to get them mating just before sunrise. I have been watching and filming them for the last three weeks and saw them mating a couple of times when I wasn't ready - either too early when it was still too dark or just when I was all packed up. Today everything fell into place.
Just a nice story related to this - when I bought the Nikon 200-400 f4 G VR I thought I should sell the Nikon 300 ED f2.8 but decided to leave it because of the wider aperture. Today this lens saved me as I shot the mating footage with it at f2.8....(-:
It was too dark and there was no way I could shoot this with the 200-400. (Setting the gain to more than 0 for me is not an option due to the grain).
Will post the mating footage in a few days.
Cheers,
Ofer
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #8
New Boot

This is great stuff, Ofer.

Just a few questions. How slow did you shoot this? Are you shooting your normal footage 1080p, 30fps? Is there any way you could get a higher vantage point?

Looking forward to seeing more.

Jerry
Jerry Merrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Merrell View Post
This is great stuff, Ofer.

Just a few questions. How slow did you shoot this? Are you shooting your normal footage 1080p, 30fps? Is there any way you could get a higher vantage point?

Looking forward to seeing more.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry!
This was shot in the slow motion mode of the EX3 - 720 25p, set to 60 fps.
I am afraid there is no higher vantage point so I won't be able to shoot into the nest....)-:

Cheers,
Ofer
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land