DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Do I Really Need an IS/VR? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/458863-do-i-really-need-vr.html)

Caleb Royer September 30th, 2009 07:47 PM

Do I Really Need an IS/VR?

When using a 300mm or 400mm lens with a Canon or Nikon adapter on the XL2 how important is an IS/VR? Do I need it? I have a solid tripod.

Thanks in advance,

Caleb

Mick Jenner October 1st, 2009 02:27 AM

Hi,

If you film on a tripod with the IS activated any panning movement etc will look odd as the IS tries to compensate. IS on a still lens operates in a different way to those designed for video cameras even the general rule is not to activate the IS when on a tripod

Mick

Ofer Levy October 1st, 2009 05:45 AM

I also never use the lens IS in video work.

Caleb Royer October 1st, 2009 08:26 AM

If you can't use IS on a tripod then will the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 lens work with an XL2 and EF adapter without a lens support system, or is it to heavy? It ways 3.2lb.

Don Miller October 1st, 2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Jenner (Post 1421121)
Hi,

If you film on a tripod with the IS activated any panning movement etc will look odd as the IS tries to compensate. IS on a still lens operates in a different way to those designed for video cameras even the general rule is not to activate the IS when on a tripod

Mick

Mode 2 on Canon teles is designed for horizontal pans. The newer and more expensive teles sense when on tripod and turn IS off. What I am uncertain about is if the IS will turn back on if the lens is vibrating in the wind.

Details for shooting very long is not discussed much beyond the basic. My guess is that the best wildlife shooters are divided on the benefit of IS. But on a budget a less expensive non-IS lens may make sense if more money can be put into legs and head.

I need to experiment with my 500/4 IS to see what happens with IS in higher wind.

Caleb Royer October 1st, 2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb Royer (Post 1422154)
If you can't use IS on a tripod then will the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 lens work with an XL2 and EF adapter without a lens support system, or is it to heavy? It ways 3.2lb.

I got my answer to this question on a previous thread. It does not need a support system. Don, thanks for your help.

Tony Davies-Patrick October 1st, 2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb Royer (Post 1420008)
When using a 300mm or 400mm lens with a Canon or Nikon adapter on the XL2 how important is an IS/VR? Do I need it? I have a solid tripod.

Thanks in advance,

Caleb

The IS will be of no use on a tripod, so turn it off, and anyway IS/VR will not work on a Nikon to XL2 adapter. When using any SLR/DSLR telephoto lens on the Canon XL range of SD or HD camcorder bodies you should always use a very sturdy tripod + tripod head and correct teqniques to obtain steady footage - to compensate for the extreme magnification factor.