Do I Really Need an IS/VR? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 30th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Do I Really Need an IS/VR?

When using a 300mm or 400mm lens with a Canon or Nikon adapter on the XL2 how important is an IS/VR? Do I need it? I have a solid tripod.

Thanks in advance,

Caleb
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi,

If you film on a tripod with the IS activated any panning movement etc will look odd as the IS tries to compensate. IS on a still lens operates in a different way to those designed for video cameras even the general rule is not to activate the IS when on a tripod

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Major Player

I also never use the lens IS in video work.
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If you can't use IS on a tripod then will the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 lens work with an XL2 and EF adapter without a lens support system, or is it to heavy? It ways 3.2lb.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jenner View Post
Hi,

If you film on a tripod with the IS activated any panning movement etc will look odd as the IS tries to compensate. IS on a still lens operates in a different way to those designed for video cameras even the general rule is not to activate the IS when on a tripod

Mick
Mode 2 on Canon teles is designed for horizontal pans. The newer and more expensive teles sense when on tripod and turn IS off. What I am uncertain about is if the IS will turn back on if the lens is vibrating in the wind.

Details for shooting very long is not discussed much beyond the basic. My guess is that the best wildlife shooters are divided on the benefit of IS. But on a budget a less expensive non-IS lens may make sense if more money can be put into legs and head.

I need to experiment with my 500/4 IS to see what happens with IS in higher wind.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Royer View Post
If you can't use IS on a tripod then will the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 lens work with an XL2 and EF adapter without a lens support system, or is it to heavy? It ways 3.2lb.
I got my answer to this question on a previous thread. It does not need a support system. Don, thanks for your help.
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Royer View Post
When using a 300mm or 400mm lens with a Canon or Nikon adapter on the XL2 how important is an IS/VR? Do I need it? I have a solid tripod.

Thanks in advance,

Caleb
The IS will be of no use on a tripod, so turn it off, and anyway IS/VR will not work on a Nikon to XL2 adapter. When using any SLR/DSLR telephoto lens on the Canon XL range of SD or HD camcorder bodies you should always use a very sturdy tripod + tripod head and correct teqniques to obtain steady footage - to compensate for the extreme magnification factor.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land