DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Canon EOS 7D vs Sony PMW EX3 for night shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/465921-canon-eos-7d-vs-sony-pmw-ex3-night-shoot.html)

Ofer Levy October 17th, 2009 07:18 AM

Canon EOS 7D vs Sony PMW EX3 for night shoot

Hi all,

Finally got my EX3 after not having it for nearly three weeks due to a major repair. (Mack International Warranty paid the whole thing - 3,000$ !!!)

Did some similar night shoot with the Flying Foxes feeding on figs like the clip I posted in here a few days ago. This is my impression:

Image looks MUCH nicer from the 7D - rich and vivid colours, nice detail and even in 1250 iso noise looks acceptable to me.
It is also easier to focus with the 7D thanks to the x10 magnification function of the LCD.

However, the DOF when using a 400mm lens on the 7D is too shallow to allow any real following of movement without having the subject going OOF. Trying to focus while following the subject is pretty difficult and I can’t really do it.
DOF when using the EX3 is much wider and allows following the moving bats without loosing the focus.

Image looks so much nicer with the 7D that I think I will only use it for night shoots. I will have to use wider lenses as well - probably the Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 IS, but I think the results is well worth the extra work.

Will post some footage I got with the EX3 in very similar conditions in a few days.
Cheers,

Ofer
Ofer Levy Photography

Eric Darling October 17th, 2009 10:05 AM

Well, the dof is so shallow because you are wide open. Try cranking the ISO on the 7D and see if you can get the lens stopped down a stop or two. It's worth a try anyway.

Khoi Pham October 17th, 2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ofer Levy (Post 1433694)
Hi all,

Finally got my EX3 after not having it for nearly three weeks due to a major repair. (Mack International Warranty paid the whole thing - 3,000$ !!!)

Did some similar night shoot with the Flying Foxes feeding on figs like the clip I posted in here a few days ago. This is my impression:

Image looks MUCH nicer from the 7D - rich and vivid colours, nice detail and even in 1250 iso noise looks acceptable to me.
It is also easier to focus with the 7D thanks to the x10 magnification function of the LCD.

However, the DOF when using a 400mm lens on the 7D is too shallow to allow any real following of movement without having the subject going OOF. Trying to focus while following the subject is pretty difficult and I can’t really do it.
DOF when using the EX3 is much wider and allows following the moving bats without loosing the focus.

Image looks so much nicer with the 7D that I think I will only use it for night shoots. I will have to use wider lenses as well - probably the Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 IS, but I think the results is well worth the extra work.

Will post some footage I got with the EX3 in very similar conditions in a few days.
Cheers,

Ofer
Ofer Levy Photography

You need that Zfinder, nailing focus quickly is the key and I can't shoot without it.

Ofer Levy October 17th, 2009 12:48 PM

Thanks for your comments guys!
Eric, I won't go above 1250 iso because noise will become an issue and also will get a few more centimeters for the DOF - nothing to drastically change things.
Khoi, I guess getting the Zfinder or something similar is a necessity although again - X3 magnification is not enough to get 100% focus in my opinion but I guess this is the best we can get right now.

Khoi Pham October 17th, 2009 01:33 PM

They said the Cavision has 6X, but I think 3X is enough so that you don't see too much pixels and + 5X in camera mag. is pretty easy to focus for me.

Ofer Levy October 17th, 2009 04:47 PM

I really have very limited experience with the 7D but as far as I can tell you can only use the magnifying function of the LCD when not recording. This leaves you with x3 magnification of the Zfinder which I feel is not enough to nail the focus while following movement with long telephoto lens. But maybe I just need to practice more.