Wood Duck HD Video with Sony HX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old October 28th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Wood Duck HD Video with Sony HX1

I fortunately had my HX1 on my full steadymount rig, when I found a pair of Wood Ducks in a heavily-wooded and shady stream, late in the afternoon today. I shot this at full zoom with 640mm. I was pleased how well the HX1 caught the drake's color in this low light. The smart autofocus held tight on the main subject, even when he was mostly obscured by intersecting vines and leaves. A photo I took of him and his mate was done with a slow 1/10th-sec. shutter. I included another photo of a Mallard I took nearby, in slightly brighter light. There are many other HX1 videos of wildlife on my Vimeo album.

Go to my Vimeo album at the link on my Signature line and this video is currently on the first page. http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos There seems to be an embedding glitch with DV Info and Vimeo, that won't let me post the specific link. Be sure to click the full-size logo at the right end of the progress bar and turn off the scaling feature in the upper-right corner.

If you register for a free Vimeo subscription, you can download the full video file, for better image quality. This was uploaded unedited in the camera format of AVC at 6 Mbps, except for short sections trimmed at the ends by the Sony PMB program.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Duck HD Video with Sony HX1-dsc05071.jpg   Wood Duck HD Video with Sony HX1-dsc05131.jpg  

Last edited by J. Stephen McDonald; October 28th, 2009 at 04:11 AM.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Beautiful footage, love the photos, they are very clear and colorful. Same gos for the video and what an amazing AF, just one thing, it's shaky so you need to use a tripod and a good fluid head IMO.
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree with the first comment that a tripod is absolutely necessary for video work with a long telephoto. I usually even use a tripod when taking stills photos with a telephoto lens.
Cheers,
Ofer
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's cool that you can get this quality footage from your HX1. Many people post videos like this here, which are cool for testing out cameras and looking at wildlife, but I would suggest shooting a couple of angles (it looks like you were able to take stills from different angles, so why not shoot some more video?), and editing a sequence with a few cut-aways.

This is a great test shot, but with only a little more effort next time you can produce a short sequence that will have much more impact.

Keep up the good work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land