Rain Protection - rather than light shower protection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old November 10th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rain Protection - rather than light shower protection

After standing out in the rain for several hours filming leaping salmon, I removed my EX3 from my (split new) Kata RC1 "Rain Cover" to find the camera soaked and the inside of the fabric dripping wet.

Maybe the expectation is that folks might shoot a short while in tippling rain, but then get sensible and head indoors.

Then again, common sense tells me that if I'm dry inside my £50 jacket, a £100 camera cover should offer the same protection.

Any similar experiences - or solutions?

JW
John Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Shot for over four and half hours in gale force winds with my PMW-EX3 inside the PortaBrace RS-EX3 Rain Cover and the cam stayed dry. Condensation was a slight problem though.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good tip on the Portabrace, Paul.

Maybe it is worth the extra £'s over the Kata.

Do you use the stock mount for mics?

I have a fluffed-up K6 in a wee shockmount sitting in an adaptor to the front hot shoe. This makes the mic sit an inch or so higher than it would in the stock mount. Would this still work do you think?

Also, knowing you're into your long 35mm lenses, Paul, how does it cope with your RRS rail and DM shouldermount?

JW
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi John,

First off I am currently using a DM Accessories Replacement Hotshoe for the original Microphone Holder and a Rode NT-SM3 Microphone Holder. It does just about squeeze under there when I have my Sennheiser MKH416 Microphone coupled with a Rode Softie mounted. However, I have just order the Cine Rubber Band Shock Mount which has a much lower profile and will fit in there much better than the Rode Version. I have also ordered J-Rod Super Strong Twin Mount for mounting my wireless under there to (since I’m hotshoe mounting the nanoFlash.

Just waiting for everything to arrive from Jeff now. Check them out on his Website Here.

Ah, my long lens. Well I never use it in Gale Force winds, obviously but in the rain, I have from time to time. I always meant to send Kevin at Wildlife Watching Supplies the measurements of the EX-3 so he could tailor make a waterproof cover with a detachable long lens cover. I never did so because I doctored one of his C80 All-In-One Camera and Lens Cover. I just slip it over the 200-400mm (which is my favourite at the moment) or the 600mm. Then I put the lens part of the Portbrace cover over the WWS cover. It all works very nicely and I can still access the focusing ring. Changing the aperture (Iris) on the MTF Services Nikon G Adaptor does become more problematic though.

As for the original question, the Portbrace does what it says on the tin. I’ve not tried the Kata version on my EX-3 but the one I had for my stills were pretty poor. Kevins stuff at WWS just rocks.
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

All good to know, Paul - esp. like the look of J-Rod replacement mount.

Will you let me know how it all works together when it arrives?

Kata have agreed to take their CRC back to 'do some tests'.

My own rudimentary test (shallow pool of cold water on fabric) confirms moisture starting to wick through in just 20 minutes.

NG.

I have a Petrol PRC-15 cover on the way in the meantime - just hope I can get it to work with my setup...

JW
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Trustee

I'll echo the quality of the PortaBrace. Summer of 2007 I covered what ended up being a three day rain soaked event and my XH A1 stayed bone dry. The weather was so soggy that the mildew was getting mildew.

The key is to make sure that all the flaps, tabs and edges of the cover are properly attached. Don't know what the EX3 cover looks like but the A1 has a bunch of them. I attach a Rode NTG-1 to the shoe and the cover handles it quite nicely.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
All good to know, Paul - esp. like the look of J-Rod replacement mount.

Will you let me know how it all works together when it arrives?
Of course! I'll post here when I've tried it. Still waiting for it to arrive though :(
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm also not keen on these lightweight rain covers. My preference is for the old fashioned clear PVC covers that used to come as part of Digibeta cameras etc (but are now optional extras!), it's the Sony LCR-1. These are 100% waterproof and being clear allow you to see all the controls etc.

I'd rather use a bin bag than the "showerproof" ones.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:49 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Steve - I do binbag too! Always carry one - and a teatowel or two - in my pocket.

As for shooting out of one, well, only if you don't need sound from cam mounted mics.

When the sky suddenly dumps on you nothing's quicker than whopping on a binbag.
Teatowel is a handy extra for drying hands (if not the camera) before changing tapes/cards, batts or fiddling about under the cover.

Drying one's hands also makes for less condensation under there.

Got My Petrol PRC-15 lighting quick - less than 24 from ordering from TV Cases.

I discover it is:

• a faff to put on - more so than other covers I've used (despite marketing claims)
• doesn't give easy access to the focus ring when zipped for maximum protection
• is tight around xlr connectors
• absolutely useless unless you're in the stock mount with a standard mic - no room for a softie, too short for even my puny k6

Have ordered Jeff's mount replacement and shockmount - looks a handy piece of kit whatever.

I'm now chasing a Portabrace Slicker - wish me luck!

JW
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I've got the rainslicker here for the Varicam etc. What I don't like is that it's really bulky, so I never use it. I always had the feeling that it too would eventually leak, but may be wrong. I just think you can't go wrong with PVC or something else that's 100% waterproof without exception.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I agree, Steve.

There I am standing up to my waist in water for hours on end, perfectly dry inside rubberised poly-cotton ocean waders, holding a camera swathed in fancy 'high tech' fabric that doesn't do the job.

Nuts.

I had high hopes for the Petrol for that reason - mostly made from clear plastic. Shame it's such a daft design.

EWA do make a clear EX3 cover (not for submersion) but - DOH! - they put a glass port on the front. No shade, matte, or long lenses then...

It all makes me wonder how many designers/companies actually bother to test these covers in real shooting situations, or with a real-world camera setup.

I'll stop moaning now.

- x
j
w
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
It all makes me wonder how many designers/companies actually bother to test these covers in real shooting situations, or with a real-world camera setup.
Some field test extensively while others just try it out for size. I think bags are another item that everyone seems to get through ten to the dozen :) I believe Kata is giving everyone a chance to design their own bag! Maybe the should do the same with rain slicks!
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #13
Major Player

Well just look what they use after years shooting deadliest catch..... plastic bags with duct tape!

They have probably tried every design available and still end up using the cheapest and probably best option!
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Wet Camera

I went to Wall Mart and got a marine box for about $10 and put a clear port on the box. This works not so well, as I can not see to shoot anything. The box is great for storage of my camera, as it has a rubber seal around the top.

Also I picked up a kids back pack again at Wall Mart , for $6. This hold all my filters, and cleaning stuff and all the other crap we end up taking with us. It is padded and might be kind of rain proof..

After a very expensive repair I now keep my camera in a Seal Line See Bag 10L. I got this at Outdoor World for about $15. It keeps my camera dry, and I put two Hydrosorbent 40's in the bottom of the bag.
Just thought you all might use some of this stuff, to keep our cameras working better and not spending more money.
After I put the camera in the clear view bag, I went to Home Depo and got some other stuff and put a clear plexiglass bottom in the bag. I have not use it yet, as I live in Sunny South Florida, and the rain is gone until next year. If any one want to see a picture of this thing let me know.
Kenneth Burgener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Portabrace RainSlicker arrived this morning before the sun got up!

More importantly, it fits my setup.

One question:

What's the little neoprene square for under the flap at the front? Poke a riser for a lamp through?

Amusing to hear Deadliest Catch use plastic, Jonathan.

Briar thickets, hedges and barbed wire fences are common obstacles for me, and rare I have access to any dry space - like a wheelhouse - if things go wrong.

Then again, if it's good enough for Mr. Phillips' Varicam...

JW
John Wallace is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land