DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Cranes in forest (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/474725-cranes-forest.html)

Sverker Hahn March 13th, 2010 02:01 PM

Cranes in forest

Now I put my first video on YouTube:

YouTube - Cranes in forest

Takes almost 9 minutes - I hope you have that time ...

Slower is better!

Sverker

Annie Haycock March 15th, 2010 03:06 AM

Hi Sverker

Some excellent long clips here, and wonderful sounds of the forest. You are showing off your scenes of the cranes, however, I think you could make it easier to watch. Some clips are very static, and should be shortened - the first especially is about 30 seconds too long with the crane standing near the edge of the frame looking out, you do not need to wait for the animal to walk out of the frame in this case. The action shot with the eagle might be better towards the end - it would make a better story of the cranes going about their business in the forest, and then being attacked. The sound is good except for the eagle scene where it is too loud - much louder than elsewhere - and needs to be turned down a little.

I can see/hear that you were in a hide, and had little opportunity for different shots. A wider angle shot of the overall scene may have given a little more variety.

Keep up the good work

Ryan Farnes March 15th, 2010 01:34 PM

Yeah, really nice sound and great scenery. Getting close ups would be a good way to add interest throughout a scene. Perhaps you were already zoomed in as far as you could go though.

Definitely of the slower variety. But some great animal interaction there between the bird of prey swooping right over the crane.

Sverker Hahn March 16th, 2010 03:28 AM

Thanks for your input, Annie and Ryan.

Not having an exchangable lens, it was not possible to get closer close-ups. In fact, not doing extreme close-ups is part of my idea of creating slow nature and wildlife videos. But sooner or later I am sure Iīll get an EX3 or something like it.

Maybe I should put the scenes in a different order, like you suggested, Annie. Now it is almost in chronological order.

The sound is a problem because the almost constantly present gulls create an atmosphere not typical to forest. Kind of irritating calls. Therefore I decreased the volyme in those scenes, but obviously to much according to Annie. I could also exchange the sound of those scenes to something more forest-like.

This was my first on YouTube. I donīt know how to exchange this video for a "remake". Is it just to load a new file with the same name, or is it not possible (I have already deleted the first version and then all statistics - a nice feature - got lost)?

Slower is better!

Sverker

Andrew Smith March 16th, 2010 10:19 AM

Somewhat disappointed. I was expecting to see some sort of construction activity going on in the middle of a forest somewhere. Not too sure why. Must just be me.

I was also wishing the view was zoomed in a bit more so you could have the bird fill the frame. Then I started thinking of how that sort of thing works really well with a telescopic rifle sight. No wonder I'm always offending the greenies.

Guess I might just stop right there. :-)

Andrew

Annie Haycock March 16th, 2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn (Post 1500208)

The sound is a problem because the almost constantly present gulls create an atmosphere not typical to forest. Kind of irritating calls. Therefore I decreased the volyme in those scenes, but obviously to much according to Annie. I could also exchange the sound of those scenes to something more forest-like.

Sverker

I don't think you decreased the volume too much in those scenes, but you should have decreased the volume in the second scene to a similar degree. I was not sure if the sounds in that scene were from the cranes, or from woodpeckers. The sounds there seemed to be clipped and of poor quality - probably just a combination of being too loud and then digested by YouTube. If the sounds were not from the cranes, then it would probably be better to substitute more forest-like sounds, as in the later clips.

Sverker Hahn March 16th, 2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1500354)
Somewhat disappointed. I was expecting to see some sort of construction activity going on in the middle of a forest somewhere. Not too sure why. Must just be me.

Haha! When I was searching for my own clip on YouTube, I got a lot of construction works here and there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1500354)
I was also wishing the view was zoomed in a bit more so you could have the bird fill the frame. Then I started thinking of how that sort of thing works really well with a telescopic rifle sight. No wonder I'm always offending the greenies.
Andrew

Donīt be such a bad boy, Andy!

Andrew Smith March 16th, 2010 07:02 PM

It's not me. It's my inner 10-year-old. Honest!

Andrew