Hiking with gear at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old April 1st, 2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Tourist

Hiking with gear

Hey people

I am planning some multi day hikes in the not too distance future and would love some tips and advice about lugging gear around. I have a Canon XL H1A and a Miller DS10 tripod needing to be carried with all the other camping and camera gear as well.(batteries, tent, sleeping bag etc) I have an Osprey Argon 110L backpack with an optional day pack on the front, so maybe 130L in total. The environment in which i plan to be traveling will range from mountainous cold weather terrain to outback desert.
Probably my main issue at the moment is trying to find figure out the best way to store the XL in the pack. Anybody know of a case or bag that fits the camera more like a glove? Or any other tips on storing it in the backpack would be great.
How about movement? Im assuming the camera moving and and down all day walking cant be good for it? What if I slipped or had to make sudden movements, can this damage the camera?
Interested in learning any tips or advice you could give about lugging gear around and keeping it safe

TY

Shane
Shane Wakeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Shane,

Will you be with anyone?

If you are, one of you carry the camera gear and the other the camping gear and food.

Pelican cases work very well. Break you gear down as small as possible and pack in separate cases. They protect against shock, rain and dust. If your budget doesn't stretch to Pelican, buy some dry sacks from the likes of Sea To Summit and then wrap the gear in soft jackets etc.Having a dedicated pack for the camera gear means you don't have to unload every thing when you want to use the camera.

Alternatively, purchase a weather coat for the camera and hand hold it all day. This may sound ridiculous but it can often be more practical on a hike.

I'd try and stay away from carrying a day pack on your chest, they can be a real hassle if climbing or descending steep terrain. If it does come that, carry consumables in it so it becomes redundant after a couple of days.

Enjoy.

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:19 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wakeling View Post
Hey people

I am planning some multi day hikes in the not too distance future and would love some tips and advice about lugging gear around. I have a Canon XL H1A and a Miller DS10 tripod needing to be carried with all the other camping and camera gear as well.(batteries, tent, sleeping bag etc) I have an Osprey Argon 110L backpack with an optional day pack on the front, so maybe 130L in total. The environment in which i plan to be traveling will range from mountainous cold weather terrain to outback desert.
Probably my main issue at the moment is trying to find figure out the best way to store the XL in the pack. Anybody know of a case or bag that fits the camera more like a glove? Or any other tips on storing it in the backpack would be great.
How about movement? Im assuming the camera moving and and down all day walking cant be good for it? What if I slipped or had to make sudden movements, can this damage the camera?
Interested in learning any tips or advice you could give about lugging gear around and keeping it safe

TY

Shane
The only camcorders I worry about being bounced around all day are harddrive models. Flash and tape ones, I think this isn't much of an issue. You just need to make sure the XL has some padding to protect against any impacts (say you tripping and falling to the ground).

The thing that is working against you is the size of the XL. I've carried Canons HV20 tape camcorder and one their AVCHD ones in small camera/lens cases attached to the hipbelt or shoulder straps of the pack without issue (mine survived the 2650mile Pacific Crest Trail last summer). The advantage of those locations is the camcoder is easily accessable incase I see something that I want to shoot quickly. With the XL, you may need to stick it in your pack due to its size. I know a guy who carried a Canon GL2 for months of backpacking some of Americas really long trail by just padding it with some clothing and/or sleeping bag with it near the top for access. You'll only need some sort of case if want to carry it externally to your pack. As for weather protection, if you aren't filming in rain, then you can just use large ziplock or plastic bags (double them up) if you want. Dry Sacks also are a nice but heavier solution. I don't think pelican cases are necessary unless you are doing alot of rock scrambling or using ropes.
Sean Nordeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Many moons ago I modified a backpack so that a camera bag could be attached in place of a sleeping bag. The down sleeping bag is then stuffed into the bottom of the pack interior. That has worked for me for over 30 years (gee, I'm old!) and a lot of miles. Just be careful when you remove the pack — I dented a camera once when I let the pack down too near to a sharp rock.

The jostling never seemed to bother any camera/camcorder. Just be sure the camera bag is well padded.

Peter
Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Desert Wildflowers - Guides, DVDs and More
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Have you thought about a Lama or a Horse for packing?

I use horses and bring my gear in to the Colorado Mountains with Pack Saddles & Hard Cases.

This is a trip I took into Mosca Pass in the Sand Dunes National Park. I spent 5 days int he mountains onthis trip.
Click on the images below to view the full size photos on Flickr.

Old April 26th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Now that's the way I'd like to be doing things. But I'm in the wrong country - maybe one day I'll get a donkey!
Old April 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Major Player

two words:
unpaid intern
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Major Player

Did that in the late seventies - worked as a trail guide at the Flying W Ranch in the Allegheny Mountains for peanuts. Even had my own horse - he worked for his keep too. Couldn't afford video in those days - my brief flirtation with 8mm quickly came to an end as I ran out of film.
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It is a sad fact that the further you get into the middle of nowhere the less expensive it is to hire someone to carry your stuff. Porters are the best solution in the developing world. In the US and Europe you do need to exploit others in trade for your experience. Or you need to buy lighter gear.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land