Mojave desert: wildflowers and solar power - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 4th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #16
Major Player

Hi Peter,

Just sat through the video, and from the perspective of an outsider I found it to be both visually and vocally informative, albeit a little confusing vocally due to it's pro and con approach.

I feel, whilst you may approve of solar power per say, in this instance you would be better presenting a clear and concise message opposing the development of solar in the proposed protected monument areas.

Your message in the video sends out mixed messages and because of this it runs the risk of being relegated to the "Too dull bin"

Take your cues from business, be one eyed, driven and fervent about your outcome, which I gather, is to protected the proposed Monument sites. It's all well and good trying to present a balanced point of view but in reality "Balanced" big business is still a long way off.......profit margins prove that.

Someone mentioned the redundancy of the VO saying "Here are a couple of minutes of film from....etc" Maybe change this narrative to "Please enjoy the existing desert landscape though a couple of minutes of film....it may not always be here!"

In regards to the Mountain Sheep's butts, yea, technically it may not be good but I suspect they may not be the most co-operative animals and seeing them from behind is better than not at all. I don't think your average arm chair greeny / Joe public would be too concerned about the angle.

I know this is a bit late but I'D like to see the area without solar panels splashed all over it when I come to visit.... :) and I admire you for the time and effort the pair of you have put into your video in order to further your cause.

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #17
New Boot

I agree you should keep it short and punchy to convey your message. I don't think the argument needs to be one-sided however. The 2 minutes of footage in the middle are pretty but a bit indulgent perhaps? You illustrate wind power near the beginning but no solar which is odd. You could maybe develop the parallels between the flora's use of the sun's energy and our own ambitions in an interesting way. Some talking heads interviews to represent the human dimension better maybe?
Dom Greves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land