DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   FX 1000 slo mo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/478425-fx-1000-slo-mo.html)

Dale Guthormsen May 10th, 2010 12:02 PM

FX 1000 slo mo

On the way home from the doctors the oher day I managed to get a bit footage several of slo motion with my sony fx 1000. I was asked to post it, so here it is.

While the slo motion is not the most practical function on the camera, if you get the focus perfect and can set up for the shot it can produce a brillant image.

Swainson's hawk on a ground squirrell, flying Swainson's hawk, soaring Ferrugenous rough leg, gliding marsh hawk,

My favorite duck of all, the Canvas back, flying mallards, and pintail

and an amorous killdeer.

All hand held

I feel a couple of these shots are keepers.

dale

Ryan Farnes May 10th, 2010 02:00 PM

What resolution and framerate does the FX1000 give you? I'm fascinated by slow motion and am surprised at how it seems to have made its way into camera models I haven't even been looking at...

This appears to be beyond 60 frames per second. Is is 120 or so? Or more? And does it kick out a true 720p image?

Dale Guthormsen May 10th, 2010 06:49 PM

Ryan,

When I bought the fx 1000 It was purchased as a second hd camera for weddings and events. I did not even realize at the time it had the slo motion feature.

What the camera does is shoot enough frames to stretch a six second shot into 24 seconds. By my count that is 240 frames a second. I believe it is 720 and then interpolated back to 1080, I might be wrong about this part.

Were I to have my druthers, I would like it for 10 to 15 seconds and have a button that would allow me to be shooting 60i or 30 P, then hit the slo mo button and have it kick in!!! that would make it fantasticly useful.

It is definitely better than frame duplication or standard interpolation to acheive slo mo in post.

Dale

Mark Watson May 11th, 2010 10:58 AM

Quest to Decipher the Manual

Checking the camera's manual, there are no resolution specs broken out for the Smooth Slow Motion mode. I can only deduce that the slow-mo can be shot in any of the selectable modes (HDV or DV).
According to the manual's convention, if a mode is only available in 1080i, then that will be indicated by a symbol, and if a mode is only available in DV, then that will be indicated by another symbol. So where the slow-mo is mentioned on page 69, there are no symbols to indicate HDV or DV only. The only symbol is the AS, which means it can be programmed to the ASSIGN button. Also, the manual states, "The recording time may be shorter than the set time, depending on recording conditions. The image quality is lower than with regular recording."
The "set time" refers to the approx. 6 second burst of high speed recording.
Hope I got this right.

Not to hijack your thread, but.....
After watching "Time Warp" a few months ago, I ran out and got the Casio EX-FH25 (poor man's high-speed camera). It has a few selectable high speed recording modes and can shoot continuously until the memory stick fills up. You can also switch between the normal record speed of 30fps and either 120 or 240fps. It's specs are not anywhere near what you're getting with the HDR FX 1000, but for fooling around with high-speed effects, I find the HS 240 mode to be the most dramatic while maintaining decent quality.

Specs: HD(1280x720 30fps), HS 1000(224x64 1000fps), HS 420(224x168 420fps), HS 240 (448x336 240fps), HS 120 (640x480 120fps), HS 30-240 (448x336 30fps 240fps), HS 30-120 (640x480 30fps 120fps), STD(640x480 30fps)

Dale Guthormsen May 17th, 2010 06:28 PM

Mark,

I actually looked at these casio cameras after seeing some bug footage shot with the 6 mega pixel camera.
I still see application for their use in video, even with the smaller picture.

would like to see some of your efforts with your 25!

the fx 1000 is shooting 720 P at 240 frames a second as far as i know. It is still in the hd world and fills a full 50 inch plasma and looks pretty darn good!!! At least for us normal mortals that are not independatly wealthy~!

dale

Mark Watson May 20th, 2010 05:50 AM

Have you tried setting your camera to 1080i and shooting in slow-motion mode? When you play it back in the camera or capture it, does the camera or NLE display the format info? There must be a way to confirm what res the camera is recording at.

I'm travelling now, but when I get a chance I'll see if I can upload some footage for you. It may not be high def, but to my eyes it definitely beats filming at regular speed and slowing it down in post. I'm not wealthy either, just single. Don't have to get permission. Six laptops, 3 dSLRs and 3 video cameras to support a hobby gone mad. Sure, it has it's downside; I have to dine out and do my own laundry. Can't have it all.

Dale Guthormsen May 23rd, 2010 05:01 PM

Mark,

Just got back from a shoot and am capturing 10 tapes. when finished I will check.

It is a disease!!! Can you say obcessive compulsive????

I have 6 video cameras, 4 other still cameras- Even my old 4x5 speed graphic!!!

Mark Watson June 9th, 2010 08:13 PM

Video Upload Attempt

Dale,

Finally got some footage for you. Jets landing/taking off from an aircraft carrier. I have two clips, 120fps (640x480) and 240fps (448x336). The 120fps is slow-motion x4, 240fps is slow-motion x8. I made a DVD with many clips and the pilots watched it on a 42 inch screen. They were so amazed with the slo-mo effect so impressed with the slow-mo effect I doubt they even noticd the low resolution. I plan to shoot lots of video this summer with this little camera.

I don't know how to put the Vimeo attachment on here. Maybe I don't have the privelges.
Here are the links:
120fps:
240fps:
http//www.vimeo.com/12432085

Mark Watson June 9th, 2010 08:16 PM

Slow motion sample

Okay, so that's how it's done...
The more light, the better. I couldn't get a clear day, so had to shoot in the rain.

240fps:
http//www.vimeo.com/12432085

Mark

Alan Melville June 9th, 2010 10:39 PM

Dale,

That was great. :)

Mark,

Yours was great as well :)

Bugga, Now I NEED a slo mo as well...... :)

Al

Gilles Debord June 10th, 2010 03:17 PM

Hi Dale

The FX 1000 seems to be better than the Casio EX-F1

It's really difficult to manage the focus and exposure in HS on the Casio, in fact you can not, but prerecord is very nice.

Gilles