DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Hudson's Monarch - Wildscreen 2010 Finalist (Screen Grabs) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/480507-hudsons-monarch-wildscreen-2010-finalist-screen-grabs.html)

Mat Thompson June 16th, 2010 02:16 PM

Hudson's Monarch - Wildscreen 2010 Finalist (Screen Grabs)

7 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone

I thought I'd post some screen grabs from my piece Hudson's Monarch that has just been shortlisted for Wildscreen 2010 - BBC Newcomer award.

The films synopsis -

"It's not very often you chance upon royalty, but every year a warm Summer's evening in the South East of England may just reveal it. A monarch among hexapods was how the naturalist W H Hudson described the Stag beetle in his book Hampshire Days (1902). Its seasonal fleeting appearance hides an intriguing 6 year life cycle, a cycle which is now under threat. Hudson's Monarch takes you on a trip underground, overground and into the air, revealing the details of this elusive yet majestic insect's life."

Hopefully I'll be able to encode some sequences from the film for you to watch, until then hopefully these will give you a small taster.

Cheers
Mat

Mike Sims June 17th, 2010 06:13 AM

Looks like a winner to me! I can't wait until we get to watch.

Trond Saetre June 18th, 2010 10:09 AM

Crossing my fingers for you Mat!
Congratulations for being nominated.
Wildscreen Festival 2010:*Panda Award finalists 2010

Fernando Ballesteros June 18th, 2010 12:14 PM

congratulations Mat
you have done a very good work shooting this difficult scenes of this incredible insect and creating a very interesting atmosphere in your film (as shown in some clips and captures)

Dale Guthormsen June 24th, 2010 04:35 PM

Can't wait to see the final rendition!!!

How long have you been putting this together ????

dale

Mat Thompson June 24th, 2010 05:23 PM

Hey guys
Many thanks for your comments.

Dale - I'm surprised you haven't heard me mention it....phew, its been a labour of love! - I began research and planning nearly 3 years ago. I've been shooting for about 2 years. Its got bespoke written score (The musician did an excellent job) and pro VO which really does lift something like this. As far as the scientist (Dr Deborah Harvey) and I are aware its also got a number of things we think haven't been filmed before such as the beetles metamorphosis, part of which you can see in one of the pictures.

My plan was always to take it to Wildscreen and I can't believe its actually short listed...its a dream come true!

Ryan Farnes June 26th, 2010 08:57 AM

Congratulations Mat. Best of luck there at Wildscreen.

Sabyasachi Patra June 30th, 2010 04:53 AM

Mat,
Well done. It is good that you mentioned the time line and the hard work that you put in so that people get an idea.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi