DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Recent Assorted Pixels (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/487278-recent-assorted-pixels.html)

Wendell Adkins November 10th, 2010 08:37 AM

Recent Assorted Pixels

Various geographical locations and landmarks captured in hopefully a pleasing arrangement of 1's and 0's.

YouTube - Helicam HD Aerial Video Promo

Lauri Kettunen November 10th, 2010 01:34 PM

Wendell, you are such a master flying helicams!

Wendell Adkins November 10th, 2010 07:28 PM

Thanks Lauri!!

We had a wonderfully trouble free year which always helps a bunch.

Alan Melville November 12th, 2010 06:42 PM

Wendall,

After watching this I thought "Gotta have me one of them 'choppers..." so off I go, zooming around the web, man, one can tie up some serious money in them 'choppers........I'd hate to think how I'd feel if my 6 to 8 K$ chopper...WITH...my camera lost power over the lake or at 200 m & ...bloop......I guess I'd have to have two, one to film the demise of the other, then I could start a 'wacky crashes' thread.......

Well done with your work, pleasure to watch & I can see serious potential for it here in Aus.

Al

Jason Ryman November 13th, 2010 12:16 AM

That is incredible. Actually feels like I'm floating!

Dale Guthormsen November 14th, 2010 05:17 PM

I have been watching the development of using helicams the last few years and this is the nicest footage I think I have seen. Totally useful from several directions and possibilities.

what camera do you have mounted on the helicopter?

the one shot looked like you had a remote head on the camera, or did you just tilt the chopper to make that shot???

Great stuff!!!

George Cummings November 15th, 2010 08:21 AM

Wendell, Knowing a bit about remote flying helis and video after helping 2 very experienced pilot friends with their videos I totally agree you are a master of ultra smooth video....perfect weather conditions and pilot can result in some very cost effective "eye in the sky" shots. WELL DONE!!! Thanks for sharing.

Wendell Adkins November 15th, 2010 09:13 AM

Thanks so much guys!

The camera is mounted on the nose of the helicopter for this work. (We have others where the camera rides directly underneath) We also have smaller ones that can be flown indoors. They all have the ability to pan and tilt the camera used. Regarding cameras, these shots were all taken with the HVX200. Other cameras we have flown include the 5D and 7D Canons, Panny HPX 170, Sony EX-1, Red One and a modified "old school" 35mm motion picture camera.

It makes my job much easier when the winds are calm but it isn't required to get smooth footage (within limits obviously). Our larger helis weigh between 37 and 44 lbs., depending on the camera fitted, and so handle moderate winds much better than smaller ones which is a big help. I have been piloting RC helicopters for 30 years now (wow, time really does fly!) with most of it spent in precision flying competitions. I had no idea when I started that it was going to be such good training at keeping a flying camera steady!

Paul Cronin November 16th, 2010 09:02 AM

Wendell, very nice work. I fly and shoot from full size machines and the perspective you are able to get could never happen in a full size machine. Wow, 44LB RC is a big machine. Your 30 years experience shows in every shot, keep up the great work.