DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Protection from jungle rain (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/490912-protection-jungle-rain.html)

Steve Siegel January 29th, 2011 08:20 PM

Protection from jungle rain

I will be going to the tropics for the first time during the rainy season and need some advice on rain protection. I remember getting caught in a downpour in Texas once, and even though my XL2 was under plastic, enough moisture got into the lens to make it unusable for over a day. I wonder what people do who film in these places regularly. Underwater housing!?

Sareesh Sudhakaran January 29th, 2011 11:05 PM

Use Silica Gel within the plastic to keep off moisture condensing on the equipment. If you're looking at long hours, you'll need a lot of sachets. Also, keeping the plastic air tight will help. Humidity levels in the tropics are the among the highest.

If you run out of sachets, don't throw them away, you can reheat them and use them again...if you're that desperate.

If you are not keen on that, then you'll need to 'ventilate' your plastic sheet so the heat from the camera is dissipated. If the temperature is equal inside the plastic and outside, then moisture won't condense on it (there is always a difference, hence the use of silica gel).

Most of all, take care of yourself, too.

Mick Jenner January 30th, 2011 04:32 AM

Hi Steve,

Apart from what has been said you must make sure you warm the camera up before you take outside from aircon room. If you are still useing the xl2 it is very sensitive to tape mechanism damp and will auto shut down.

Mick

Les Wilson January 30th, 2011 05:00 AM

You mean Miami isn't already in the tropics enough for you? LOL. I carry a small umbrella in addition to a PB rain cover. An umbrella makes you more comfortable so you shoot better and it helps out your tripod and other gear. If I can't hold it myself, I enlist an assistant. The nice thing about rain in the tropics though is that it's warm. I think the worst part is the 30 minutes after the rain stops and the sun comes out...STEAMER.

Kenneth Burgener February 1st, 2011 04:35 PM

wet camera

I am the $900 smarter guy now. I always keep my camera in dry bags. Go to Outdoor World , take your camera and see which bag fits it best. The bags are only $20 or so. I even cut out the bottom and put a plexiglass so I can shoot during the rain.
Some of the bags are clear and that way you can see your controls and hopefully shoot while it is raining or you are taking waves over the side.

Good luck!!!

Doug Bailey February 5th, 2011 07:30 PM

I regularly kayak with a 5D or 7D & 100-400mm lens hanging from a strap around my neck. There are a few other lenses in a waterproof Pelican case. Maybe keep your camera in a Pelican case, use it as needed and of course keep it out of the rain & put it away again. This may help. Best of luck with your project & take care of yourself & gear. Keep a low profile.