Protection from jungle rain at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 29th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Protection from jungle rain

I will be going to the tropics for the first time during the rainy season and need some advice on rain protection. I remember getting caught in a downpour in Texas once, and even though my XL2 was under plastic, enough moisture got into the lens to make it unusable for over a day. I wonder what people do who film in these places regularly. Underwater housing!?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Trustee

Use Silica Gel within the plastic to keep off moisture condensing on the equipment. If you're looking at long hours, you'll need a lot of sachets. Also, keeping the plastic air tight will help. Humidity levels in the tropics are the among the highest.

If you run out of sachets, don't throw them away, you can reheat them and use them again...if you're that desperate.

If you are not keen on that, then you'll need to 'ventilate' your plastic sheet so the heat from the camera is dissipated. If the temperature is equal inside the plastic and outside, then moisture won't condense on it (there is always a difference, hence the use of silica gel).

Most of all, take care of yourself, too.
Old January 30th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Steve,

Apart from what has been said you must make sure you warm the camera up before you take outside from aircon room. If you are still useing the xl2 it is very sensitive to tape mechanism damp and will auto shut down.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You mean Miami isn't already in the tropics enough for you? LOL. I carry a small umbrella in addition to a PB rain cover. An umbrella makes you more comfortable so you shoot better and it helps out your tripod and other gear. If I can't hold it myself, I enlist an assistant. The nice thing about rain in the tropics though is that it's warm. I think the worst part is the 30 minutes after the rain stops and the sun comes out...STEAMER.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

wet camera

I am the $900 smarter guy now. I always keep my camera in dry bags. Go to Outdoor World , take your camera and see which bag fits it best. The bags are only $20 or so. I even cut out the bottom and put a plexiglass so I can shoot during the rain.
Some of the bags are clear and that way you can see your controls and hopefully shoot while it is raining or you are taking waves over the side.

Good luck!!!
Kenneth Burgener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I regularly kayak with a 5D or 7D & 100-400mm lens hanging from a strap around my neck. There are a few other lenses in a waterproof Pelican case. Maybe keep your camera in a Pelican case, use it as needed and of course keep it out of the rain & put it away again. This may help. Best of luck with your project & take care of yourself & gear. Keep a low profile.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land