DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Unique underwater perspective - 7D Under the Ice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/494684-unique-underwater-perspective-7d-under-ice.html)

Alan Gibbins April 17th, 2011 10:39 AM

Unique underwater perspective - 7D Under the Ice

This short video was shot on a recent dive under the ice sheets at the Lighthouse Point in Tobermory, Canada using a Canon 7d in an Aquatica housing with a Tokina 10-17.

Very surreal environment.

YouTube - David Gibbins diving under the ice in Tobermory, Ontario

Natural light with a small amount of close up fill from HID's, ISO 100, WB 4000K and a modified neutral picture profile.

I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed filming it ... well ... after thawing out.

Alan

Andy Wilkinson April 17th, 2011 10:49 AM

Re: Unique underwater perspective - 7D Under the Ice

Great stuff!

Alan Gibbins April 17th, 2011 10:56 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Andy. Your input on this site and samples of your work have been inspirational to me for some time.

Alan

Andy Wilkinson April 17th, 2011 11:30 AM

Thank you for the very kind compliment....[that cheque I promised you for it is in the post!]

;-)

Tony Davies-Patrick April 17th, 2011 01:21 PM

Some wonderful smooth footage, Andy, I really liked it!

The underwater slow slides were nice, but I would have liked to have seen some extra clips where you are swimming tight alongside David, just to add extra spice to the static footage, and maybe some clips where you are filming the diver from topside directly through the ice. But that is nitpicking a very nice short video.

Pat Reddy April 17th, 2011 01:33 PM

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

Pat

Alan Gibbins April 18th, 2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1640032)
Some wonderful smooth footage, Andy, I really liked it!

The underwater slow slides were nice, but I would have liked to have seen some extra clips where you are swimming tight alongside David, just to add extra spice to the static footage, and maybe some clips where you are filming the diver from topside directly through the ice. But that is nitpicking a very nice short video.

Thanks for the comments, Tony and your suggestions are all good ones. Coincidentally, the original plan was for me to finish the second dive, waddle back to the vehicle, get the xf300, tripod, etc and shoot some sequences of David from above, including surfacing and exiting. What very quickly became a much more attractive offer, however, was for me to waddle back to the vehicle, get inside, turn the heater on and not look back ...

Alan

Kent Jakusz April 20th, 2011 06:59 PM

Nicely done. It looked kinda cold. Like swimming in a giant cocktail glass.

Thank you for sharing.

Kent

Ryan Farnes April 22nd, 2011 11:22 PM

Very cool. I want to do that kind of stuff someday. Most people see ice and turn away, thinking of jumping in as a laughable proposition...sometimes though, it is fascinating to see what these "ordinary" or "uncomfortable" places look like.

Thanks for posting.