DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Dust, sand & water ‘proofing’ cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/496073-dust-sand-water-proofing-cameras.html)

Luke Hill May 18th, 2011 08:17 AM

Dust, sand & water ‘proofing’ cameras

Hi everybody,

I’m getting ready to take the first of three trips I have planned to India this year (Traveling to India) - I’ll be over there shooting a documentary show which will require travel all over the subcontinent, in all different kinds of environments, and I’m wondering if anyone can recommend some sort of universal type housing to protect my gear from the elements (most notably sand and moisture - we’ll be there during monsoon season).

I know that you can buy specific water-resistant cases for various cameras, but I was hoping to find some sort of universal housing (maybe like an especially stout plastic bag) to use with whatever camera I’m using at the time. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Luke
Luke Hill - Solo Acoustic Guitarist, Writer, Filmmaker

Roger Van Duyn May 18th, 2011 10:03 AM

Re: Dust, sand & water ‘proofing’ cameras

I use the clear plastic zipper bags that comforters and large blankets come in. It fit's over camera and tripod both.

Luke Hill May 19th, 2011 07:56 AM

I was wondering if something like that would work - you don't run into any problems with the bags making the image hazy/inferior?

Marc M. Myers May 21st, 2011 01:06 PM

You can't shoot through the plastic. I keep my camera in a zip-lic type plastic bag (with dessicant) in my camera bag and pull it out at the last possible second. In rain I shoot out from underneath a poncho (I carry one of those ones in my camera bag as well) or an umbrella. Often you can use one of those universal lighting clamps to attach an umbrella to the arm of your tripod. I've also punched a hole in the corner of the bag, stuck the lens though it and held the plastic on the end lens with a large rubber band.
There are a variety of plastic waterproof protection systems sold but I've found any I've used to be pretty ineffective in the long run. Good to jump out of a car but not good on the road for a documentary.

Sabyasachi Patra May 22nd, 2011 09:23 AM

Good to know that you are coming to India.

You need to plan your schedule according to the monsoons. The timings vary from state to state. The cuisine varies a lot according to the region.

I am not sure where you will be filming and what equipment. If you are using smaller cameras like DSLRs for filming, then it should not be a problem.

You can use rain covers or simply a plastic wrapped around. Shooting through the plastic is not a good idea. You can just create an opening for the lens and shoot. Most of the times, I wrap around a towel and it protects. Rarely, I need to take out my rain covers.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi