Filming from a racing yacht at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old May 25th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Filming from a racing yacht

Hi all,

I've done a lot of yacht filming in the past both from the water and aerial.

I've been asked to film on board a racing yacht where I think my normal spray cover may not cut it and my gyrostabiliser will be too heavy. I have a full size PMW350 which I don't want to risk and is too heavy anyway but my Canon XHA1 may be more suitable.

Any suggestions for either a cover/case for the canon or a system that will take some serious spray, is light and easy to operate whilst clinging on with on hand! I though maybe even a Go Pro but would prefer a little more control.

This is only a one day shoot, so I'm looking to rent and only buy if low cost. Needs to be UK or Isle of Wight.

Many thanks!!
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Filming from a racing yacht

Hi Mike,

I have also been shooting on race boats for the last 30 years. What size boat? Is it from boat to boat or onboard?

Have you looked into the new Sony splash proof camera? This could be an interesting concept if you can wait I know some of the Volvo guys and Class 40 boats are looking at this option.

I think there are a lot of options that are better then the GoPro. I have 4 GoPro and their picture quality is fair compared to say an EX1 or your Canon A1. My EX1 has years of use on boats and with wide angle or fisheye offers lots of options with a Kata cover. The camera stays dry and keeps it vented which is important. The GoPro is nice for mounting in tough to reach location and just let it run for a card. With 3 or 4 you can grab some clips that will help. I don't think you want to use GoPro as your main camera unless it is a very low quality production and from viewing your work that does not seem like your style.

Just back from four shoots around the country on small boats (16-35') for a client and I used my EX1 when the boats are under 25' while onboard and my XDCAM 500 with Canon's new gyro lens when they are over 25'. The 25' mark is a rough guide which depends on the sea state and if you are shooting onboard or from boat to boat. I will post a blog in the next two weeks comparing the Fujinon Optical stabilizer vs the Canon HJ Gyro lens. I have used the Gyro lens and will use the Fujinon next week. I can tell you right now that the Canon was amazing, best lens I have ever used on the water. If you could rent one for your 350 you would be hooked.

Best of luck in what ever you choose and have fun.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Paul,

Thanks for chiming in. The boat is l'Hydroptere, the fastest sail boat in the world (or at least one of them).

Not much in the way of a sturdy deck which is what made me think about the GoPro for use onboard. I think there could be a lot of spray and movement so want something very tough.

I explained about the GoPro to the client and they agree it may be the only safe option as I'm not sure a Kata cover will be enough and the job isn't worth enough to risk loosing any kit on. I haven't checked with my insurer but I doubt they would cover my gear on a boat like that.

I did consider the new Sony but I don't think it will be out in time and is quite expensive. I'm also not sure how it copes with salt water... any ideas?

Thanks again!

Mike
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Ah yes she is a different beast all together. Agree the Kata cover and A1 would not work.

I also have a Canon HF10 with Ikelite housing that would work great. It has a WA lens and dome on the front. Happy to lend it but I bet you could rent one cheaper then shipping both ways across the pond.

Still not that impressed with GoPro but one or two could add to the shoot. I would go for a small camera like my HF10. I know there are a few waterproof ones that are not that expensive. Does it have to be 1080 or can it be 720? I know a few coaches that use this camera with decent results, much better then GoPro. It says no longer for sale but there are still some around cheap and other models.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600627-REG/Sanyo_VPC_WH1YL_Dual_Camera_Xacti_720p.html
The salt water question I have into Sony on the new camera. No answer yet which makes me think you would need to fresh water after the shoot which is normal anyway. If you have proper insurance it should be covered.
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks again Paul.

I think a dive housing would be too bulky. The Sanyo looks interesting and is a similar price to the GoPro. I've always been very impressed by the GoPro footage I've seen. Obviously it lacks manual control but the images seem to deliver. I would get the LCD back so that I could at least see the image I was shooting!

The footage won't be of the highest technical quality but that's the nature of the beast. 720p is okay, it's more the image quality that concerns me rather that raw resolution. The GoPro seems to punch above it's weight but maybe I'm overrating it..?

Thanks

Mike
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I just shot a sailing clinic the other day with the coaches Kodak Playsport (since we were in a tiny motorboat and i wasn't about to take my xlh1 out without a case). We used the footage to show the sailors the before and after of their trimming to see what they did and how it affected the boat. It seemed to work well. the camera is so small and light that it didn't have any stabilization issues since I could soak up waves with my arm. There is no optical zoom on it though and it was a bit hard to see the screen in the glare. Over all, for a cheep waterproof camera I was impressed. Wish it took aa batteries though. The batteries for it seem to get you a little over an hour and they are like $38 each (or so I was told.)

l'Hydroptere... talk about a dream gig! That's awesome man. It would be cool to get some go-pro's mounted in various places to see the water over the lifting foils, the boat from the end of the bow sprit, the team from up the mast... At speed that would be some great footage! Good luck. post links to the video when you're done.
Paul Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Mike the GoPro likes a lot of light and when they are back lit the picture falls apart since there is very little latitude.

Hope it is fun and you get some great footage.
Old May 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the warning, I'll try and test beforehand.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land