Wildlife with EX3 and Nikon 80-200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 1st, 2011, 08:27 AM   #1
New Boot

Wildlife with EX3 and Nikon 80-200

hello everyone, i am a newbie in wildlife, i have a project during 1.5 year, and this project is about Georgian sheep dog. i need to shooting wild wolf in the forest. i have a question is 80-200 enough or i need longer lens? and th esecond question is about camera is EX3 ok for HD broadcasting company such as for example BBC, national geographic, animal planet and etc.?

thank you
Kakhaber Mshvidobadze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Wildlife with EX3 and Nikon 80-200

Hi
I have no idear how close you can get to the wolves but if they are wild wolves I would say you would need a longer lens like a Sigma 120-300 mm. Maybe someone in here with experience in filming wolves.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:50 AM   #3
New Boot

thank for reply

i think we will get about 100meter or less may be 60meter.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Major Player

A very nice addition would be a nikon 300/4.0 which is about the same size as the 80-200 (so not too big) and gives you that extra tele. Gives very good quality images, in my opinion even better than the 80-200.

The bitrate of 35 mbps of the EX3 is not accepted by the BBC. If you capture on an external device like a nanoflash, the combination is approved by the BBC. If you use at least 50 mbps, or 100 mbps for I-Frame Only codecs. I use the EX3 with nanoflash and it is an excellent combination.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:23 AM   #5
New Boot

50mbps or more is for BBC and what about national geographic or animal planet? thank you
Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:11 AM   #6
Major Player

I don't know about these channels. Maybe someone else does. Also try to search their websites. I did for BBC and they have clearly stated their demands publicly.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #7
New Boot

what about combination Sony Ex3 and canon 5D markII? :) is it ok or better just with EX3 + nanoflash?
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #8
New Boot

i have one more question, tomorrow morning i am going to buy nikon 80-200 (Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF) lens, i have a question may be beter to buy new 80-200 (Will Nikon replace the D90 with a new D7000 later this month? | Outlet Photography i need crop factor about 5.6 or more...

and next question, is it usefull to use this lens with follow focus or may be better use it without FF during filming wildlife.
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #9
Major Player

I think you'll lose auto-focus/follow focus with this lens on an EX3. Have you considered a Nikon 80-400?

Used quite a lot by wildlife video-photographers.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #10
New Boot

thank you for reply, but i think that f4.5-5.6 is too slow for sunrise and sunset, i must filming wolve early morning and in the evening. am i right that is is too slow?
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi
You have to consider those things too. Be shure you have an iris ring on the lens you buy - the one in your link seems to have. Most lenses you buy today do not have an iris ring to manually control the iris ! You have to take of the lens and put it on a nikon camera to set the iris and then try it back on the EX 3 - I would say that this is imposible to work with in the real life.
Adaptimax makes an adapter where you can control the iris with a screw though the side of the adapter - this will work but it is not as easy as having an iris ring.
Remember - nothing is automatic when putting a nikon lens on an adapter on EX3.

Do not go for anything less than 2,8

I am used to use bigger cameraes and when I got my EX 3 and nikon lenses, I could not get used to the focus control as focus works different from brodacast lenses - far and near focus works opposite...
Sigma lenses works as broadcast B4 mount lenses and I had to buy Sigma too, to make it work for me.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #12
Major Player

I use a Nikon 80-400 zoom with the EX3. Unless it is really dark, the lens works fine at sunrise or sunset.
A 2.8 lens would be really expensive, and I've never heard of a 2.8 telezoom. Mike Tapa (MTS industries) in London makes an adapter for Nikon lenses on the EX3. You can use the manual iris ring on the lens without removing it from the camera. Makes it very easy. 150 Sterling.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #13
Major Player

What's the quality like Steve? I use an XLH1. Never too keen on my Canon 100-400 particularly at 300-400 and Mike Tapa does an adaptor Nikon-Canon EF.

Currently using (new) Canon 70-300L and Canon 400 F5.6 which nice but would prefer the one zoom lens if quality okay.

Also use a Sigma 500 F4.5 which v good but needs rails.

Hardly ever feel the need for fast lenses as nearly always have to use ND filters to keep lenses a couple of stops away from wide open which seems to give best results for video, noting my fixed 50th second shutter speed.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #14
New Boot

thank you guys, i bough nikon 80-200 f2.8, iris ring is outside :) so i can control it by mysef, i am waiting for MTF adapter for nikon lens :) i think i will be work. when i will make some tests i put them here.
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #15
Major Player

Ron,

I hate to say it, as a long-time XLH1 user, but the Sony image is better. I made the switch when my Canon tape drive bit the dust. The EX3 has a broader range of adjustments for gamma, so I am burning out less in the highlights. The EX3 also records at 35mbps as opposed to the XLH1 at 25mbps, which makes some difference as well, and you get real HD instead of the faux HDV of Canon. The biggest problems with the Sony, as opposed to the Canon is a crop factor of 5 instead of 7, and the solid state media. As much as people rave about "I don't have to fool around with tape any more", nothing beats the convenience and security of slipping out the old tape and slipping in a new one. You don't have to worry about did you copy everything before reformatting a card for reuse.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land