Using a Canon XF100 for wildlife at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old August 10th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Using a Canon XF100 for wildlife

I have been experimenting and getting success in using the Canon XF100 for wildlife. I am coupling this to my Canon EF 400mm f5.6 lens with a DMF Showtime adaptor.

I am loving the pre-record function in the camera, although it only records 3 seconds before you hit the record button, it allows you to save a lot of CF card space.

Here are some examples of the setup Canon XF100 + Canon EF 400mm f5.6 lens + DMF Showtime adaptor on Vimeo

Bob

PS The field of view with this setup is aprox that of my Swarovski ATS 80HD scope with 20-60x eyepiece and the eyepiece set at 60x magnification

This is the setup in the field http://www.flickr.com/photos/jingbar/5976579503

Last edited by Bob Thompson; August 10th, 2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: additional info
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Using a Canon XF100 for wildlife

Impressive!
Any trouble finding the subject in the finder?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Bob,
That really is impressive! Where do you get these adaptors? I have done a quick search, but not found anything.

Regards,
Bryce
Old August 11th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Bryce & Alastair

It is made is Taiwan, if you google "DMF Showtime" it has a site but is in Chinese.

The product is well made.

As to finding the subject, the adaptor comes with a red dot sight but unfortunately the microphone of the XF100 blocks the view so I will need to manufacture a hot shoe riser.

I hope you have seen my negative points about the setup.

1. I have to use the 1.5x digital extender to remove any vignetting,

2. I found I also need to shoot wide open on the XF100, therefore I need to adjust the shutter speed to get the correct exposure.

3. I can only use around 60% of the zoom. This doesn't both me as I need the tele end of the zoom for small birds

These negative points may disappear if I use a 300mm f4 or f2.8 lens, but I havent tested it.

There are 2 models one for Canon EF/EFS lens and one for Nikon (sorry don't know which type) lens

This is the website http://sites.google.com/site/dmftaiw...t/dmf-showtime

Last edited by Bob Thompson; August 11th, 2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: added website
Old August 13th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Trustee

Hmm, interesting stuff Bob.
Do you know if there are different lens sizes for the adaptor? I may have to look further into this!

Bryce
Old August 13th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Trustee

Oh, & thanks for the link!
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Bob, do you possibly know if Frank Wu has English, if I email him at DMF Showtime?

I have a Chinese collegue who will send emails and make calls to China for me, but I hate to wear out my friendship if Frank already has good English.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:02 AM   #8
Major Player

Charles,

Sorry for the late reply. I have only ever emailed Frank and he is trying to start up an English page on his site but currently the English needs a lot of correction.

Frank is situated in the middle of Taiwan. I would try emailing and if you have problems then resort to phone calls.

I am still experimenting with my setup but it has potentials. Using the Canon XF100 and Canon EF 400mm f5.6 lens and Frank's adaptor, then maximum zoom setting is giving me a "field of View" roughly equivalent to a 60x eyepiece on a scope.

I have started a Vimeo channel of video's using the adaptor Canon XF100 + Canon EF 400mm f5.6 lens + DMF Showtime adaptor on Vimeo

Cheers

Bob
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Major Player

This is my latest Little Grebe shots

Old December 21st, 2011, 06:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Its been a while since I have updated my information about using a Canon XF100 for wildlife filming, I am still amazed by the picture quality out of the camera. I am still having problems getting rid of the shading when using it with the DMF adaptor but I feel if I use a faster lens this may eliminate the problem.

This is a shot of Black-faced Spoonbill in Hong Kong, they migrate down from Korea in the winter, the majority of the birds go to Taiwan but Hong Kong and surrounding areas are lucky to see them also. There is only aprox 2000 birds worldwide.

Shot on a Canon XF100 and coupled to a Canon EF 400mm f5.6 lens using a DMF Showtime adaptor. The shot was also blown up aprox 17% in FCP. No color correction has been done.

Distance from camera to birds aprox 300m

Last edited by Bob Thompson; December 21st, 2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: additional info
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land