DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   A Call in the Rainforest - preview (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/499519-call-rainforest-preview.html)

Sabyasachi Patra August 12th, 2011 09:10 AM

A Call in the Rainforest - preview

I am sharing a short preview of my film "A Call in the Rainforest". I have shot this short film with my Canon EOS 1D Mark IV camera in 1080p at 24p. It is 18 and half mins long. Instead of creating a trailer compiling various shots, I have chosen to create a preview which is the opening sequence of the film. It is one minute long. You can find the preview in this link:

Inspiration for the Film – A Call in the Rainforest | Diary - Tales from India's Wilds

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Kenneth Burgener September 17th, 2011 08:09 AM

Re: A Call in the Rainforest - preview

I liked it, I would put the name of the park on and maybe a quick map of where this is. Your sound is very good, and adds a lot to the preview.

Ken.

Vishal Jadhav September 22nd, 2011 09:53 AM

Sabyasachi

I found this very interesting, the subject is very interesting and i have no doubt after looking at the preview that the full 18 minutes would be truly amazing
My interest was in looking at the DSLR video and you give me hope as i am too using the DSLR for wildlife.

Waiting to see your full documentary.

Best wishes

Vishal

Sabyasachi Patra September 25th, 2011 11:28 PM

Ken,
Thanks for your encouraging words. The details about the place etc are in the main film. It documents the human-induced changes in the habitat of the Lion-tailed Macaque.

Vishal,
There are obvious limitations to a DSLR. However, the main thing is the story. I view films as another medium to pass on my conservation messages. The codecs of the DSLR may not be approved and shown by BBC, however, I am ok with it, as my primary objective of making this movie is to spread the awareness. The first screening is in Bangalore, followed by screenings in Chennai. Later will hold screenings in small towns and will ask people to explain to the local people in local South Indian languages like Tamil, Kannada, Malaylam.

All the best for your film.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Amit Avasthi March 4th, 2012 01:37 AM

Hello,

Congratulations on your wonderful effort, both in making the film and in spreading conservation awareness.

Just had two quick questions: how easy or tricky is it to achieve critical focus on a DSLR? Do you rely on an external viewfinder as well?

Amit

J. Stephen McDonald March 7th, 2012 04:06 AM

This nice preview makes me want to see the entire production. The quick shot of the fighting Gaurs could be a highlight and something not often seen.

Sabyasachi Patra March 11th, 2012 07:29 AM

Hi Amit and Stephen,
Thanks. I am happy that you liked it.

It is not easy to get the focus right with a DSLR. I use a LCDVF view finder. However, it is not easy pulling focus during a scene while recording. Especially because while recording I can't quickly zoom in and check the focus.

I have contemplated the use of external monitor, however that adds one more item to be carried during a trek. My main lens ie. the Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM is already 5.3kgs. The OConnor 1030 HDS fluid head at around 3.8 kgs and tripod at the same weight makes life much more difficult.

In the preview there is a scene where the gaurs (which are often mistaken as buffalo) are jostling with each other was filmed before dawn at ISO 12800 at f2.8 at 400mm. It was really difficult for me to see. So focusing at that tiime was really difficult.

The film recently got screened in Haida Gwaii International Film Festival in Canada and in Kirloskar International Film Festival, Pune. I have done a limited DVD release.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amit Avasthi (Post 1718834)
Hello,

Congratulations on your wonderful effort, both in making the film and in spreading conservation awareness.

Just had two quick questions: how easy or tricky is it to achieve critical focus on a DSLR? Do you rely on an external viewfinder as well?

Amit

J. Stephen McDonald March 11th, 2012 05:40 PM

Sabyasachi, the use of ISO 12800 to get a shot like that in the dark is astounding. It's very clear and you obviously found a way to focus it right. You may be able to use the high ISO capabilities of this camera to capture many other nighttime scenes that people would never be able to see otherwise.

Sareesh Sudhakaran March 14th, 2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra (Post 1720247)
I have contemplated the use of external monitor, however that adds one more item to be carried during a trek. My main lens ie. the Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM is already 5.3kgs. The OConnor 1030 HDS fluid head at around 3.8 kgs and tripod at the same weight makes life much more difficult.

In the preview there is a scene where the gaurs (which are often mistaken as buffalo) are jostling with each other was filmed before dawn at ISO 12800 at f2.8 at 400mm. It was really difficult for me to see. So focusing at that tiime was really difficult.

Great job, Sabyasachi - you took the effort and the results are worth it.

You might want to try using a smaller sensor (like APS-C or 4/3) to reduce your lens size and total weight. Thanks for sharing!

Sabyasachi Patra March 17th, 2012 01:47 AM

Sareesh,
I am happy that you liked it.

I was primarily a still photographer and conservationist. I got into filmmaking because the technology allowed it in the same package ie. stills and video packed into a small camera and made it convenient.

I use the heavy 400 f2.8 IS lens as that enables me in shooting in low light. For low light work, I would rate my Mark IV better than the 7D. I will look at the 5D III later to see how much better the low light is and whether the codec is acceptable for broadcast.

Steve,
There are many lowlight stuff that I want to capture. The other day I was filming a sloth bear in near darkness and the noise was a bit too much. So I need a camera which is even better than the Mark IV in terms of low light. The cost of C300 is a bit too much at present as I am not into full time filming. So it looks like I will have to remain filming with DSLRs for another year atleast.

Unfortunately, yesterday's Union Budget resulted in increasing the basic customs duty by 10% of all digital cameras with video (above 800x600 ) minimum 23 fps, for at least 30 minutes in a single sequence. So cameras will become costlier.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Amit Avasthi March 19th, 2012 09:28 AM

Thanks for the informative reply, and congratulations on your festival success. Agree with Steve, it is hard to tell the Gaur were filmed in near darkness. Nice camerawork.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra (Post 1720247)
Hi Amit and Stephen,
Thanks. I am happy that you liked it.

It is not easy to get the focus right with a DSLR. I use a LCDVF view finder. However, it is not easy pulling focus during a scene while recording. Especially because while recording I can't quickly zoom in and check the focus.

The film recently got screened in Haida Gwaii International Film Festival in Canada and in Kirloskar International Film Festival, Pune. I have done a limited DVD release.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ruth Happel April 13th, 2012 04:31 PM

I really enjoyed the film. I am so glad you are using it to spread news about conservation issues. As a former primatologist, I definitely understand the need to conserve their habitats. I wish you continued success with the film.

Sabyasachi Patra June 1st, 2012 12:52 PM

Thanks Ruth.
Great to know that a former primatologist has viewed it. I just got information that this film "A Call in the Rainforest" got a 2nd Prize in a film festival organised by the Government of Maharashtra Environment Department and Maharashtra Pollution control board. (Maharashtra is a state in the India with Mumbai as its capital). The award will be given on 5th June - world environment day by the Chief Minister. The film will be shown in various places in the state and will lead to more awareness building.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

J. Stephen McDonald June 1st, 2012 05:29 PM

Sabyasachi, I'm pleased that your film won a prize. How long is the full version of it? is there some place we can view the entire production?

Vishal Jadhav June 11th, 2012 01:01 AM

Congrats Sabyasachi

Thats surely great news