DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Travelogue Documentary Contents - Wildlife Destination (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/502988-travelogue-documentary-contents-wildlife-destination.html)

Vishal Jadhav November 23rd, 2011 10:40 PM

Travelogue Documentary Contents - Wildlife Destination

Found a very newly formed Tiger Reserve in India and this thought stuck me that a Travel documentary / Travelogue can be made about the place.
Things like what is found, how it can be reached, specialties, surrounding area, tribes found there, etc.

Can any one here suggest would be important things to cover in such a documentary

List of items that need to be there to be interesting.

I intend on travelling there somewhere end of December and have a month in hand to research the things about the place.

Kindly let me know your thoughts

I did post this on Documentary techniques with no response.

I have looked around the forum however found nothing specific to this topic.

Kevin Railsback November 24th, 2011 07:46 AM

Re: Travelogue Documentary Contents - Wildlife Destination

I think the first thing you need to decide is who is your target audience?
Is it just the general public or are you going for something more geared to people who want to photograph and film there?

Since it's a tiger reserve I'd certainly focus on the tigers. How do you find them? Are you in vehicles? How long do the drives last? How many people are on a drive? Can I go by myself with a guide? Where do I sleep? Is it protected from the tigers? What are some rules to follow when in the presence of a tiger? Is flash ok? How long should I stay to feel like I've seen all there is to see? What's the weather like for a particular time of year? What should I wear? What else should I bring?

Stuff like that.

If you want me to go to the reserve then tell me why I should go, what I'll be doing when I'm there, how I'll be touring the reserve and what amenities the reserve and surrounding areas offer.

And probably most important, show me some awesome tiger footage. That alone will go a long ways in making people want to go there. :)

Vishal Jadhav November 24th, 2011 11:28 AM

Hey Kevin,

Thats a amazing list of items to cover.

I am currently researching about the place, to see that i can capture things like
1) Local viewing places around the Sanctuary
2) Places to stay around the sanctuary
3) Nearest tourist spots frequented by locals
4) any thing that can show the culture of the particular place

Yes Tiger is important and i may include a minute or so of it too along with some other animals which i have captured in the areas in the same state.
I am thinking of driving to that place from mine which is around 1000 kms one way.

and i am researching the things i can cover on the road to make it interesting.

Welcome others to suggest

Kent Jakusz November 27th, 2011 02:31 PM

Vishal;
I think Kevin's suggestions are right on target. I just posted a promo video for a Prairie Chicken Festival near my home.

The bottom line is that you want your viewers to share your experience. If this is your first promo it will be a learning experience as they all are.

Good Luck

Kent

Steve Siegel December 1st, 2011 10:01 PM

Don't forget the birds. People who go will probably see a lot more birds than any other form of wildlife, and many want to know what to expect. Birders do a lot of world-traveling.

Vishal Jadhav December 2nd, 2011 01:28 AM

Thanks Steve,

today morning i had a dream that enroute to this place i will shoot bird to have it more colorful and also to make it more attractive
You said it too which is what makes it double important.
Wonderful. I will surely include the birds, will be doing it in next few weeks and will try and post it over here.

thanks again

Kent Jakusz December 4th, 2011 09:00 AM

I enjoy filming nature as well. I have posted a variety of videos to YouTube for public enjoyment. You might find my work informative for your pending project. The web site is OpenAirVideoProductions.com. from there you can access links to my videos.

Enjoy

Kent

Chris Hurd December 5th, 2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent S. Jakusz (Post 1701353)
I have posted a variety of videos to YouTube for public enjoyment.

YouTube is such a wasteland though. Post them for free on Vimeo and you'll
be able to embed your video clips directly on the forum simply by pasting the
Vimeo URL. It's far superior to YouTube, and it'll get your work seen here.

Kenneth Burgener December 8th, 2011 05:18 PM

I would include a piece about the safety of going on the trip. Not for the tigers but the local population and sickness. Also include the best way to get to India and then the travel inside the country. Is public transportation good, hire a driver? Also include the cost of getting to the site. (once you are in country)

Good luck filming the birds. If you only have a few seconds of a bird in flight use slow motion.

Ken.

Amit Avasthi March 19th, 2012 09:39 AM

And if I'm not mistaken, clips posted on YouTube (or Facebook) are the property of those sites. On Vimeo, ownership is retained by producer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1701542)
YouTube is such a wasteland though. Post them for free on Vimeo and you'll
be able to embed your video clips directly on the forum simply by pasting the
Vimeo URL. It's far superior to YouTube, and it'll get your work seen here.