Wonders of the Barrier Reef Queensland at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old August 27th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Wonders of the Barrier Reef Queensland

Here is a little clip I put together from footage I shot out on the Great Barrier Reef out from Cairns Queensland, Australia.
Air shots with a Canon 60D from a Heli and plane.
Underwater a Sony FX1 3CCD video camera.
You can also see why I don't shoot video underwater with a DSLR.:-)
Wonders Of The Great Barrier Reef And Coral Sea Underwater Video - YouTube
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Wonders of the Barrier Reef Queensland

Hey Paul,
Great video! I really liked the movement you had in most of the shots. Could have watched lots more, & was left wanting more when it finished.Great job!
Bryce
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Paul, great video. I saw those fishes fathers and mothers, off Green Island 40yrs ago on our honeymoon.

Great to see the kids carrying on the tradition. Nice music selection and editing.

Cheers.
Old August 27th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #4

Thanks guys for your comments.
There are so many beautiful things around here and the best part is you never get cold.:-)
Winter.. O yeh that means I have to turn of the ceiling fans.
40 years ago, wow the place would of changed a bit now since then.
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Somewhat :) We also flew a day flight from Cooktown to Lizard Is. and landed on the beach in a Cessna with 2 other visitors.

This was well before that way upmarket guest house.

We circled around the island to alert the guy with the tractor/grader, then after he cleared some palm branches we landed Ok.
I sat next to the pilot who had a strained back and I was ready to take over.

Even tho my bride still had stars in her eyes, she recalls that bit with a frown :)

The seawater was so clear you could see down about 40 feet, it was like watching the fish in 3D. :0

Cheers.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Major Player

People, please watermark your work!

Unless of course you think you work has no value and should be given away for free.
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #7

Gee Alan sounds like a fun time. Population is around 150k so still no way like a city, very relaxing and always warm with many water holes and waterfalls to explore in the rainforest.

Rick I hear you but it's just a tiny little demo from a heap of footage I have. If people want to rip off the low version from youtube because it makes them happy to watch it, then good for them. They might even end up buying my 90 minute Reef to Rainforest Relaxation DVD or BluRay.:-)
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Major Player

You Tube Terms of Service - Item 6. C.

However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service.
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Major Player

At one stage I was involved in making 16 mm educational films about coral reefs. Soon afterwards I was watching a quiz show and noticed that a few seconds of my footage was being used to advertise a Great Barrier Reef holiday. I contacted the producers who said they would make doubly sure that they had the authority to use the material. An hour or two later they rang back to say they had no such authority and would I accept a certain sum of money. I suggested double the amount and we compromised by splitting the difference. That evening the agreed amount was left in our letter box. All very amicable and incredibly speedy.

My lawyer was appalled that I had acted so quickly. She could have got ten times the amount and only charged 90%. Her way would have taken 3 years.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Or longer, you did the right thing Alastair, it wasn't Slater and Gordon the local outfit was it?

Cheers.
Old September 10th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #11
Equal Opportunity Offender

LOL. I know a lawyer who has been at the big end of town as a verily esteemed partner, and the rest of them just couldn't understand why she would find cheaper ways of resolving matters for her clients.

She's more than happy running her own small practice now ... and feeling good at the end of the day.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #12

Well its better to share some of my footage to the world and maybe make a few people happy than have it sit on tapes in a box. If it ends up some place else then so be it but if I find out I will contact them. :-)

It happen once with some Whale Shark footage, there I was watching TV and bingo there was my Whale Shark in a commercial. I contacted them and was paid.:-)

So I guess YouTube also own all those BBC docs and stuff that have been loaded up by all kinds of folks.
Old September 18th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #13
Major Player

Great work Wags, some stunning shots
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wags View Post
Gee Alan sounds like a fun time. Population is around 150k so still no way like a city, very relaxing and always warm with many water holes and waterfalls to explore in the rainforest.

Rick I hear you but it's just a tiny little demo from a heap of footage I have. If people want to rip off the low version from youtube because it makes them happy to watch it, then good for them. They might even end up buying my 90 minute Reef to Rainforest Relaxation DVD or BluRay.:-)
How do I get a copy of the Blu Ray version here in the UK? Mind you, I've some relatives in Cairns so maybe that's the way.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 06:14 AM   #15

well cannot put a link here but just google Reef to Rainforestdvd and bingo ...:-)
Paul Wags is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land