DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   WiFi underwater? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/513527-wifi-underwater.html)

Markus Nord January 16th, 2013 05:10 AM

WiFi underwater?

Hi there UWOL friends!

I'm about to order a GoPro 3 and will use this one as a B cam for a production I'm working on. I've been thinking about the WiFi, have anyone tried it out in water, or know if it can be used thru water? I have no idea if water interfere with WiFi or not... Any ideas?

Cheers!

Jim Michael January 16th, 2013 05:40 AM

Re: WiFi underwater?

The search term you need is 'attenuation wifi underwater'. Attenuation is frequency dependent. Looks like your signal wouldn't travel very far.

Markus Nord January 16th, 2013 05:59 AM

Thanks Jim, I did some searching and found a few ideas... I'll se what I'll come up with.

Cheers

Giroud Francois January 16th, 2013 08:23 AM

2Ghz frequency is very close to the one that is used for Microwave oven.
Knowing that microwave oven is just heating water with high frequencies, you can expect that all your wifi power will be absorbed by water as well.

Rick L. Allen January 17th, 2013 01:06 PM

Markus, I specialize in u/w work and wifi thru water won't work. Water absorbs the signal and the power output is too low anyway. That's why ROV's are either tethered or autonomous and submarines surface to radio home or use high powered ULF transmissions through water.

Sareesh Sudhakaran January 17th, 2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Nord (Post 1773498)
I'm about to order a GoPro 3 and will use this one as a B cam for a production I'm working on. I've been thinking about the WiFi, have anyone tried it out in water, or know if it can be used thru water? I have no idea if water interfere with WiFi or not... Any ideas?

2.4 GHz Wi-fi does not work under water. Here's confirmation from gopro users: GoPro WiFi Underwater use

Markus Nord January 18th, 2013 02:32 AM

Thanks everyone... I got some idea how I should proceed.

Cheers

Jan Siimson February 16th, 2014 02:32 AM

Hey,

If its solution for you...

For me it was :)

Mark OConnell February 16th, 2014 01:52 PM

Wow that's a great idea!

Markus Nord February 17th, 2014 09:05 AM

I ordered a WiFi coaxial cable, it shold be here later this week. I'll gonna try it next weekend, will do it with a 10 m cable first and se if the signal is strong enough.

Thanks for the tip.
/Markus

Woody Sanford February 18th, 2014 01:38 AM

I use the Sony action cam myself and can get some wifi to about a foot deep beside my kayak filming fish as I net them. However, there is a big difference between a phone and a tablet. From what I've noticed the much better antenna systems in the tablets will do a lot better, in most cases doubling the distance you can get with a phone.

I haven't tried the coax trick but sure results will vary with phones because of the antenna systems. I'd try a tablet if it seems to come up short.

Mark Rosenzweig July 18th, 2014 07:44 AM

You can use this:

Panasonic HX-A500H - Panasonic A500: Point-of-View Wearable 4K Camcorder ? Gray

No need for wifi (although it has it). Direct cable connection of lens to viewer/camera.