2 camera shoot from 1 tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old April 13th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

2 camera shoot from 1 tripod

I couldn't sleep last night, laid awake thinking. What if :

Is there a bracket that will allow the mounting of 2 cameras (dslr, mft, video) on the same fluid video head? My thought is to get both a wide shot and a tighter shot from the same location. One camera man two cameras to get a more complete recording of a scene.

Has anyone tried this? If so I would appreciate your thoughts and how you mounted the cameras. I would appreciate the thoughts of those who haven't tried it but have an opinion.

Just thinking and thanks

Kent
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 2 camera shoot from 1 tripod

A slide mount from Manfrotto or other suppliers will allow you to do that very easily. I have often used the method at weddings to get a close and wide angle at the same time. I also use it for stage production shoots where I will have two or even three cameras mounted on a locked down tripod coerving different areas of the stage.

Roger

Last edited by Roger Gunkel; April 14th, 2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I do it all the time, but I like the over/under configuration. It allows me to have both LCD screens positioned where I can easily glance at both of them. Most often, I have a small Casio EX-FH25 mounted on a cold shoe adapter on top of my other camera (XF305, XL-H1A or Canon 7D). I have also mounted my Canon HV30 atop other cameras (including the 7D). The only tricky part is zeroing in the cameras so the subject is centered in both viewfinders. I have a cold shoe level for the upper camera which helps with side-to-side leveling, but I still have to determine the elevation angle so it coincides with the aimpoint of the lower camera at the anticpated range. (I shoot lots of aircraft in flight) I also determine which camera I will primarily be zooming in/out with, then go a little wide on the other camera. I put the whole mess on a Sachtler FSB-6 fluid head. (I think I'm making this sound more complicated than it is in practice.) Spend $10 on a cold shoe adapter and do some testing.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I use a magic arm kit like this one.Magic Arm Kit (143A+003+035) 143 - Arms | Manfrotto Use the Magic clamp to clamp this to my main tripod and I have replaced the camera plate with another ball fitting so that I can fix the arm location and then set the camera. Use a NX5U on my main tripod and a Sony XR500 on the arm set for a wide shot.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land