HUMMINGBIRDS [Panasonic Lumix GH3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old July 21st, 2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Major Player

HUMMINGBIRDS [Panasonic Lumix GH3

Shot with the Panasonic GH3 mostly in my backyard here in Ventura, California. Lenses used were the Panasonic 45-200mm for the 3 slomo shots of the hummingbird feeding on flowers, and the rest of the footage was shot with a Nikon 80-400mm (manual everything). All the footage, except the 3 slomo clips, were shot FHD 1920x1080 .mov 30p @50Mbps. Shutter speed was 60th and the ISO ranged from 200-400 depending on lighting situations. I always tried to shoot when there was cloud cover, marine layer, or indirect lit shade. The 3 slomo clips was shot FHD 1920x1080 .mov 24p @50Mbps 40% speed. The species shown are Anna's, Allen's, and Costa's Hummingbirds. Click the Vimeo LOGO if you would like to view it in HD.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: HUMMINGBIRDS [Panasonic Lumix GH3

Waow! Very nice close up! Well done!
Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Very good Don. I'll be getting a GH3 when I can scrape the cash together. Were you using "extra-tele"?
I would guess that you were unless exceptionally close to the birds. Also were you using one of the higher bit rates, 50/72Mbps?

I have a Nikkor 80-400, use it on my EX3, and noticed that to my eye, your Panasonic lens seemed to provide better image quality, albeit in slo-mo, and that this extended to the colours. I think there is some internal software linkage between Pansonic's own lenses and the GH3, reducing CA for example, which wont be available with the Nikkor or similar.
My limited experience of Hummingbirds, on a couple of trips to Brazil, is that some low soft lateral sunshine provided the best lighting conditions, and this was a virtual constant during every afternoon of my stay there. Hard to get those bright red feeders out of shot though!

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Lovely Don, always a pleasure to watch your work. You really have got your head around how to get the best out of that camera.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks all for your kind words.
Yes Ronald, I was using the ETC for all the shots and 50Mbps at 30p, except the 3 slomo shots which was at 24p. I also have to agree that the Panasonic lens seems sharper than the Nikon 80-400mm viewing on my computer LCD monitor, although when I made a Blu-ray of this and played it on my Samsung 120Hz HDTV, it was hard to see any difference. The 2 slomo scenes of feeding on the purple and white flowers was using the Panasonic lens, everything else was the Nikon 80-400mm. I wish someone would make a 100-400mm M43 lens that would support all the camera modes including a good AF. At the moment I'm very happy with what the GH3 can do, and I'm fine tuning my settings as I continue to use it. As far as the Nikon 80-400mm, it is what it is and I don't think your going to find anything that much better for the price at the present time.
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Trustee

Don, these are some really magnificent shots of Hummers. You did a wonderful job of capturing their iridescent colors. Thanks for sharing it with us. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Bob. It's all in the right lighting conditions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land