DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Ice, a Study in Nature (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/521957-ice-study-nature.html)

Bob Safay March 2nd, 2014 08:19 AM

Ice, a Study in Nature

This video was taken in LeConte Bay, Tongass National Forest, Wrangell Ranger District, Alaska, during a photo expedition with Wolfgang Kaehler Photography, Seattle, Washington. The jet boat was provided by Breakaway Adventures, Wrangell, Alaska.

All video shot hand held with a Canon XF300 at 1920x1080p.
Music by Beethoven

Mike Sims March 2nd, 2014 11:43 AM

Re: Ice, a Study in Nature

Nice work, Bob! That looks like a fun trip. Boy do I wish I could hand-hold as steady as you do.

John Nantz March 2nd, 2014 01:48 PM

Bob - that was a really nice video and an excellent choice of music. Judging from all the sea lions there must be some salmon around there somewhere.

One can see that the glacier is busy calving with all the berger bits around, and some were pretty good size "bits".

Since I didn't know exactly where the glacier was I did a search on-line and found this interesting article "Possible Effects of Freshwater Inputs from Melting Icefields on the Marine Ecosystem of Petersburg, Alaska" Research Project for the 2010 Alaska Region National Ocean Sciences Bowl | Alaska Ocean Sciences Bowl

Question: You had a special thanks to Wolfgang Kaehler and I was curious how he fit in?

One more question: Since you were in Wrangell, by any chance did you ever make it over to Anan Creek?

Dale Guthormsen March 2nd, 2014 02:25 PM

Bob,

Nice Job!! particularly sence you were having to free hand film!!! I love the images but being its like -30 outside today I have seen enough ice for the year!!!

Nice job

dale

Bob Safay March 2nd, 2014 03:38 PM

The trip was fantastic. It was set up as a photo/video trip. Wolfgang is a professional photographer living in Seattle. He put the trip together. He specializes in small groups and travels worldwide doing photo adventure tours. This was my second trip with Wolfgang, and I am signed up to go to the north Pantanal, Brazil, with him in September 2014. The "ship" we were on was 60 feet long custom built trawler and had only 5 passenger cabins. What a great way to travel. We did not make it to Anan Creek, but did visit two fish hatcheries where we were ably to set up and video/photograph Alaskan Black bears as well as Sitka brown bears. We then went on to Brooks Falls. I will post videos of the bears and whales we encountered later. Mike, thank you for the compliment, the Canon XF300 has three IS modes. I was shooting in dynamic mode, hand held, full telephoto from a moving boat. This Canon rocks! Dale, I understand completely, I live in Atlanta, GA. now, but went to Grad School in Moscow, Idaho. Stay warm.

Bryce Comer March 2nd, 2014 06:48 PM

Very nice Bob.
Looking forward to see more from this trip!!
Bryce

Trond Saetre March 4th, 2014 02:56 AM

Really nice, Bob!
Amazing clear color the ice has when you get that close.

Handheld from a moving boat can be a challenge, but you did very well.

In the winter I use a PortaBrace "Polar Mitten" heat cover, and I recommend it. Keeps your hands warm too.

Well done!

Mark Williams March 4th, 2014 08:42 AM

Bob, really nice looking video.

Adam Letch March 4th, 2014 06:47 PM

Good work Bob,

must be hard handheld on a moving boat to keep things steady! Bet the digits were a little cold too!

Steven Davis March 9th, 2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Safay (Post 1834626)
This video was taken in LeConte Bay, Tongass National Forest, Wrangell Ranger District, Alaska, during a photo expedition with Wolfgang Kaehler Photography, Seattle, Washington. The jet boat was provided by Breakaway Adventures, Wrangell, Alaska.

All video shot hand held with a Canon XF300 at 1920x1080p.
Music by Beethoven

Ice, a Study in Nature on Vimeo

Good stuff Bob, looked chilly.