DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Bald River Gorge Wilderness - Panasonic GH 4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/524407-bald-river-gorge-wilderness-panasonic-gh-4-a.html)

Mark Williams August 5th, 2014 09:59 PM

Bald River Gorge Wilderness - Panasonic GH 4

Bald River Gorge Wilderness is a 3,721-acre wilderness area in the Cherokee National Forest near Tellico Plains, Tennessee. I spent a few days hiking on the Bald River Trail capturing the scenic beauty of the area from the headwaters to it’s terminus with the Tellico River.

Shot with the Panasonic GH4 camera at 1080p, 60fps and 200mbps. Standard and Cine-V profile. Lenses used were the Panasonic 14-45mm, 45-175mm and Olympus 60mm macro lens. Edited with Edius 5.51 and encoded for the web using Windows Media Video 9.

Bryce Comer August 5th, 2014 10:45 PM

Re: Bald River Gorge Wilderness - Panasonic GH 4

Absolutely lovely Mark, thank you!
Looks like you're getting a good handle on that GH4 of yours!!
Regards,
Bryce

Noa Put August 6th, 2014 01:02 AM

I agree, nice compositions, well exposed and beautiful macroshots, I also liked the slow shutter effect on the streaming water.

Mick Jenner August 6th, 2014 04:06 AM

Lovely work as usual. The encoding for the web is spot on.

Mark Williams August 6th, 2014 07:32 AM

Thanks for viewing. I am really enjoying the Panasonic GH4.

Steve Siegel August 7th, 2014 07:30 AM

This is a really lovely piece, and the music is the perfect enhancement. I was happy to see you give the little invertebrates the prominence they deserve in a habitat like this. If I could make one comment, it would be to suggest you lengthen your transitions a bit.

Mark Williams August 7th, 2014 12:47 PM

Thanks Steve.

Tim Lewis August 7th, 2014 02:42 PM

Really nice work Mark. I just love the amount of water in those shots. Creek in Australia means a dry bed with rounded rocks that sees water sometimes a little as once a year. The macro work was great. The spider looked a bit angry. Did you speed the snail up? I've seen traffic that doesn't move that fast!

Mark Williams August 7th, 2014 03:03 PM

Thanks Tim. Believe it or not the river was only about 70% of normal flow for this time of year. Yes, I sped up the snail about 200% to get a little drama. I am really liking the GH4 and the Olympus 60mm macro. It is a sweet lens which has yet to disappoint.

Adam Letch August 8th, 2014 05:57 PM

Lovely work mate,

good job, those macro shots were great, sweet combo with that Olympus lens! Beautiful country you have there.

Mark Williams August 8th, 2014 09:02 PM

Thanks Adam.

Bo Skelmose August 26th, 2014 09:04 AM

Great - lovely footage. I have sometimes the feeling that highspeed recording makes the footage not quite sharp on the GH4 - have you reconed that?

Mark Williams August 26th, 2014 03:17 PM

Glad that you liked it. I shoot at 60 fps and edit on a 30 fps timeline. Looks plenty sharp to me. Have not shot at 96 fps as I know it takes a quality hit and I am not interested in that.

Martijn Damen August 27th, 2014 01:04 PM

Mesmerizing Mark, the shots and the edit on this music makes it very tasteful I think.

Do you stay in 200 iso all the time or do you use higher values also?

Mark Williams August 27th, 2014 10:00 PM

Thanks for liking it. I try to stay between 200 and 800 and 1600 in a pinch.