DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Fall in Mountain Area of Norway (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/525143-fall-mountain-area-norway.html)

Per Johan Naesje September 29th, 2014 10:38 AM

Fall in Mountain Area of Norway

Hi there, long time no sea. Been away from this forum quite a long time. But I will show you a beautiful film I made from 6 days hike in the mountain area of Norway.

This film could have been made for the uwol-challenge, but I was too late and the train had left the station before I could count in. So I thought that it would be nice to showcase it here instead!
The film is done with a DSLR - Canon 5DMk3 and a variety of lenses from Samyang 14mm f2.8, Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM and Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L II USM.

I also used a timelapse dolly, Dynamic Perception stage zero dolly and a motorized Kessler Pocket Dolly for real time video, which I made a DIY motorized system for.
Weather was rapidly changing from snow, rain, storm to sun and blue sky. A difficult task to produce good footage, but I did my best and the result is quite usable IMHO!
I took nearly 10.000 still pictures for timelapse sequences and a total of nearly 300 GB of data (images + footage).

As this area is very remote with no electricity and my home was a tent, there is quite a challenge to maintain all the stuff required for this task; batteries, memory cards etc. Also the temperature at night was well below freezing point, which lead to that batteries lasted shorter than what I was used to!

To avoid flicker in the timelapse sequences, I always lock down the camera. This means that I put everything in manual mode, and lock the shutter by using the twist lense technique. This way every exposure is nearly equal but the problem is to set the right exposure before dawn and coming out on the right side after sunrise without blowing out all highlights!

The real time sequences using a motorized dolly is very nice. I use a speed controller to adjust speed and direction and the motor drives very well without any noticeable speed change, which is very difficult to archieve by hand. This way I got some very interesting footage of motion instead of the regular static nature scenery shots.

Ok hope you enjoy the film and donīt forget to look at it in full screen mode at the Vimeo site:

Martijn Damen October 1st, 2014 09:20 AM

Re: Fall in Mountain Area of Norway

That is really a pleasure to my eyes Per. I love it.

*wish I had mountains in my country :s

Michael Warren October 1st, 2014 11:11 PM

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Cees van Kempen October 5th, 2014 02:10 PM

Wonderful !

Bryce Comer October 5th, 2014 05:27 PM

Thanks for sharing Per,
I too am playing more & more with time lapse shots. I have recently bought a Panasonic gh4 & the really neat thing about it, is that you can do all the time lapse stuff in camera.
Again,
Thanks, it was lovely to watch!
Bryce

Trond Saetre October 24th, 2014 12:06 PM

Hei Per Johan!
As always you make great quality films. I really like this one.
Thanks for sharing.

Mike Sims October 30th, 2014 10:47 AM

Hei, Per Johan! Excellent work- thanks for posting it here. I have been expecting to see a video like this ever since I heard you got the Stage Zero. I think you have really mastered the technique. Congratulations!

Mark Williams October 30th, 2014 12:26 PM

Beautifully done.

Vishal Jadhav November 5th, 2014 04:23 AM

Very nicely done,

the 300 GB was completely worth it.

vishal

Jeff Swick November 19th, 2014 11:01 AM

Hello Per Johan,

Your film is beautiful...as always! I was very happy to see that you have returned. Personally I have missed your participation in this forum very much. Please continue! Your work is inspirational! Thanks!

j.

Mat Thompson November 22nd, 2014 04:44 AM

Hey Per Johan

I thought I saw your name out of the corner of my eye. Great to see you posting work again fella!

A what tasty work it is!! More, more !

Mat

Simon Denny November 22nd, 2014 07:54 PM

Wow, great images. Would you share some of the details/settings for time-lapse.

Cheers