DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Hummingbirds - Little Jewels Of Flight 2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/525230-hummingbirds-little-jewels-flight-2-a.html)

Don DesJardin October 4th, 2014 07:53 PM

Hummingbirds - Little Jewels Of Flight 2

A selection of hummingbirds that occur in Ventura County, California either as resident breeders, or seen during their migration in the spring or fall. Species seen in order of appearance are Allen's, Anna's, Black-chinned, Calliope, Costa's and Rufous Hummingbird. All shot with the Panasonic Lumix GH3 and Panasonic 100-300mm lens over the last 18 months since I purchased the camera in March 2013. Go to the Vimeo website the view the video in a larger player and in HD.

Mark Williams October 4th, 2014 09:04 PM

Re: Hummingbirds - Little Jewels Of Flight 2

Excellent work.

Don DesJardin October 4th, 2014 10:42 PM

Thanks Mark. I'm not making any money doing this, but it keeps me out of trouble and having fun at the same time. Saving up for a GH4, and hopefully I'll have one by the end of the year. Maybe take advantage of after Christmas sales.

Mark Williams October 5th, 2014 07:49 AM

Don, I think you will really like the higher bitrate and some of the other features of the GH4. I am really enjoying mine.

Bryce Comer October 5th, 2014 10:05 AM

Yes, like Mark said, Excellent work!
Don, you will love the GH4. I am really loving it, especially the focus aids like peaking. I am getting far more usable shots than i ever got with my EX3, & it all comes down to me getting more stuff in focus. With the EX3, while it was a lovely camera, & when i nailed focus, it produced stunning pictures, i just wasn't nailing the focus often enough. With the gh4, i'm going to say i am nailing focus 9 times out of 10, probably more!
Of course, the weight difference is very welcome too!
Thanks for sharing,
Bryce

Don DesJardin October 5th, 2014 11:05 PM

Yes, I am looking forward to a GH4. Focus with the GH3 has always been an issue, and I have tried to work around it the best I could. I can hardly wait to shoot some hummingbirds in UHD and down rez to 1080. From what I have heard, should be awesome. I intend to keep the GH3 as a backup.

Bryce Comer October 5th, 2014 11:19 PM

Well looking at the footage you are getting with the gh3, i'm sure the stuff you get with the gh4 will be incredible!

Ronald Jackson October 6th, 2014 02:47 AM

I liked my GH3 but really like my GH4, peaking very good as is "Variable Frame Rate" and of course 4K.

Hummer clips still really good and "only" with a GH3.

Ron

ps off to Brazil this Saturday all being well so Hummers here I come.

Martijn Damen October 9th, 2014 02:52 PM

These birds are magnificent Don.
And so is the music .. until about 1:00, there it gets really distorted :O
Somewhere in the audio chain the gain is set too high and that results in brutally cutting of the delicate sound
waves :(
It would be a shame in my opinion not to correct it, for your video is very nice!
If you need help with it, I'm happy to help you.

Don DesJardin November 30th, 2014 03:58 PM

Hello Martijn,
Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I have had other priorities, but I'm back now. Yes, I agree that there is something wrong about the music. I think it's overly saturated and yes I would like it to sound better. You download something, and that's what you get. It's an MP3, and I would have preferred something better. I can send you a link where you download the file. You can contact me at don@birdsdesjardin.com .