First GH4 Edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old November 17th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #1
Major Player

First GH4 Edit

Hi friends

Used the Cine D to shoot all with Saturation at -3, sharpness at -3 and contrast at -3
Master Pedestal at +15, did not touch the Shadows and highlights left them as it is on the camera.

i know i have posted in 1 forum before in the panasonic one, however there its more to know the technical feedback and here i wish to get inputs on shooting better and also about the editing .

Appreciate your time

best regards
vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: First GH4 Edit

Some nice shots, and I liked the slo-mo but overall could use more saturation, sharpness and contrast. I also could have done with less focus shifts (ducks). Some shots very soft (maybe the Canon?). Feathers are a real challenge for resolution.

Nature is colorful and filled with contrasts, what was the point of dulling it to make it look like a zombie film? I am being serious - why did you choose this look for a nature video?
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mark for the feed back really appreciate it.

This was my first edit and also the first time i was shooting with GH4 , i guess my try was to shoot it colourful however to get more out of the edit i have used the camera settings as CINE D and all things at - 3 so guess thats where the saturation and contrast went.
In post i tried to get them back however think i failed , interesting i tried it on my dell ultrasharp and also a panasonic TV to see if the saturation and contrast was ok. Most of the times the day was over cast that made the water white and gave really less colour.

Would you suggest a better setting to use for nature videos may really help.

thanks again.

helps me learn more.

vishal
Old November 21st, 2014, 12:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Some very nice shots!

Many of us like to shoot flat and pump it up in post, it helps to stop blacks and highlights from being lost and improves the perceived dynamic range.

It depends on what NLE you are using as to what features you have, but this tutorial should help a lot. It's for Sony Vegas, but the principle holds good for any NLE

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 05:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Dave,

I guess i need to work on my colour correction more, all the feedbacks here are very helpful.

Will try and do this and see if i manage a better output.

best regards
vishal
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Trustee

I get good consistent results shooting standard or vivid profile and all 0's. Requires very little work in post.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 09:16 AM   #7
Trustee

I agree with Mark,
I am shooting with a natural or standard profile (not sure which as i don't have the camera handy) It requires very little work in post & the images are astounding.
It looked to me like you had a lot of shots there that were shot in the middle part of the day. Try to use the golden hours of the day to get better lighting on your subjects with a lovely warm glow. You will also have far more luck finding subjects!
Regards,
Bryce
Old November 22nd, 2014, 02:44 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback Mark and Bryce

I will keep that in mind when shooting this time around. will be shooting in a day or 2 and this time i have put the CINE D to all zeros , wish to try that and also the natural at all 0 setting to see which works better.

thanks a ton for the input ,

vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land