DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Exploring the Nantahala River (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/532529-exploring-nantahala-river.html)

Mark Williams August 20th, 2016 01:59 PM

Exploring the Nantahala River

I made a couple of visits this summer to the Nantahala River which is located near Topton, North Carolina. “Nantahala" is a Cherokee word meaning "land of the noon day sun." It is a fitting name for the Nantahala Gorge considering the sun only reaches to the valley floor at midday. For best quality viewing select HD and 1080p.

This video was shot in August 2016 using a Panasonic GH4 camera, set at 1080p 60fps and recording at 200mbps. Lenses used were the Panasonic 14-45, 45-175, and Olympus 60mm macro as well as 75-300. Other equipment used was a Benro S-6 tripod, Tascam DR-40 audio recorder, and Rhino Slider V1 carbon. Edited with Edius 5.51. Music “Time Scapes” licensed for use from audionetwork.com.

Alastair Traill August 23rd, 2016 06:21 AM

Re: Exploring the Nantahala River

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. I particularly liked your use of the close-ups of the water drops, flowers and insects. I guess that is your 60 mm macro at work?

One of your earlier pieces inspired me to try a GH4. However I could not achieve anything like your clean and sharp clips. As I could not get either the dealer, the agent or the agent’s approved service center to check it out for me I sold it without ever finding out whether the problem was me or that particular GH4.

A final point, I notice that you use the highest bitrate available, could you comment on that? Thanks.

Mark Williams August 23rd, 2016 08:06 AM

Thanks Alastair. Yes those macro shots were with the Olympus 60 macro. It is the best lens I own. I am using the high bit-rate because of moving water scenes. There is so much motion that I don't want the shot to break up. Even with the high bit-rate I have had a few instances that it couldn't handle. Although this could be SD card speed related. Sounds like you got a bad GH4. I am not using any exotic scene file settings, just stock standard and vivid. I do tweak shots a bit with levels and white balance in post but never have to add sharpness.

Bob Safay August 24th, 2016 04:46 AM

Mark, another wonderful waterfalls video. I especially liked the close-ups. The macros of the insects and drops were incredible. I think I noticed a couple of trasitions that I don't think I ever saw you use, especially the one at 1:24. Also, I think your pack is a great invention. Take care, Bob

Bryce Comer August 24th, 2016 07:59 AM

Gotta tip my hat to you Mark,
You've done it again with another lovely video. Thanks for sharing!!
Bryce

Mark Williams August 24th, 2016 12:42 PM

Bob and Bryce. Thanks very much for the kind compliments.