The Birds in my Backyard - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 8th, 2019, 06:13 AM   #16
Vortex Media

Re: The Birds in my Backyard

These days I mostly shoot 30p and not 24p for stock.

My preferred shutter speed for 30p is 1/80 and for 24p it is 1/60. Yes, those are faster than what most people would consider "normal". Those old "normal" speeds (1/60 and 1/48) came from mechanical reasons and not aesthetics and I believe they are too slow for HD and 4K video today.

For slow-motion, I choose the first choice the camera shows in the viewfinder that is more than 2x the frame rate. For example, if I'm shooting 120 fps then I will want to use the first shutter speed the camera lists that is faster than 240 fps (120 x 2 = 240). So if the camera showed the following speeds: 100, 180, 200, 240, 280, 400, 500, etc. I would choose 280 because it is the first one that is more than 2x the frame rate. Anything below that will be too slow and anything above would be too fast. I hope that makes sense.
Old June 8th, 2019, 09:57 AM   #17
Trustee

Yes, that makes sense. So with the Canon XF-705 for normal shooting I would set the frame rate at 30p and shutter speed at 1/75 sec and for slow motion I can go with a frame rate of 120 fps and a shutter speed of 1/250.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 11:24 AM   #18
Vortex Media

Those sound like perfect settings to me. Have a good trip.
Old June 8th, 2019, 11:58 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Very nice, and I appreciate reading about the technical aspects of how you shot it.
Old June 8th, 2019, 04:11 PM   #20
Trustee

Doug, thank you. As always I, as well as others, appreciate the professional advise that you are always so kind and so willingly to give. You are a trusted voice in this community. One of the greatest aspects of this forum is the exchange of ideas, technical knowledge, and personal experience. I really appreciate all the professional as well as personal advise you have given me, and others, over these years. Thank you, and I really mean it, thank you. Bob

Last edited by Bob Safay; June 9th, 2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old June 9th, 2019, 10:37 AM   #21
Vortex Media

Bob, that's very nice of you to say but I'm just throwing my opinion and advice into the conversation like everyone else. People can make what they will of it.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 06:16 AM   #22
Trustee

I had a great time at Cades Cove. I saw three sets of bear cubs but, it was so crowded that by the time I could get to a pull-over they were gone (I got about 5 seconds of a cub climbing up a tree!!! However, it was still a great trip. I already booked my hotel for the fall.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 03:03 PM   #23
Vortex Media

Yeah, enjoying the trip should be the number one goal. I'll be in Yellowstone again this fall and I don't even care if I shoot any video or not. Depends on the weather, the light, and my mood. It might be time to set the camera aside this time or maybe shoot stills instead.

I shot my first space shuttle launch in 1985 and have shot many shuttles and rocket since then but always through an electronic viewfinder. Last month was the first time I ever just watched a rocket launch (night time) with my naked eyes and it was truly amazing. After all these years, a totally new experience.
Old June 24th, 2019, 01:00 AM   #24
Major Player

Anyone else use their car as a mobile hide(blind)? I do all the time, with a short tripod erected over the front passenger seat, cam aimed out of the window (of course!) and a focussing monitor propped up on a cushion or pillow. Used the Landie with my old XL cameras, then an EX3 and latterly Lumix GH cameras and long lenses.

Here in UK it's my old Land Rover Defender with good off road performance which might only mean the ability to get up onto a roadside verge or down a rough farm track.

When overseas it means a hire car, usually a "SUV' which while not as flexible as a Defender a good deal more comfortable for general driving about plus a bit of off road ability if only via more ground clearance than a standard saloon.

Did this in Kruger Park South Africa in April 2018, where getting out of car is anyway forbidden unless inside a camp or a designated stopping area. Could drive , slowly, with everything set up ready. Only problem being a subject on my, the driver's, side which necessitated the occasional panicky three point turns.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2019, 07:07 AM   #25
Trustee

Doug, you are so right. When I took the "Basic Video Production" course at Rockport Maine back in June of 2002 (God Lord 2002) my instructor Jim Ruddy used to always say that sometime you just need to put the camera down and look, JUST LOOK. I have taken his advise with me on every trip I have been on.

Ronald, I always carry a bean bag with me in my car. Just pop it onto your window sill, fence post, rock or whatever. I have taken mine on numerous overseas trips including three times to Africa. It is light weight and easy to use.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:07 AM   #26
Vortex Media

Well, I'm glad I didn't put the camera down and just watch with my naked eyes yesterday! Got some of my best rocket launch footage ever.

Old July 3rd, 2019, 08:54 AM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Wow, Doug, that was awesome. Amazing work as usual -- I think "amazing" is the norm for you.

I'm going to copy your post to Show Your Work, as it deserves to stand on its own as a separate discussion thread.

Edit: new thread now located at http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-you...bort-test.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 10:40 AM   #28
Trustee

Doug, Awesome!! I am so glad you did not "set the camera aside" this time. Beautiful, color, movement and music. Glad you are enjoying living in Florida. Bob
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:29 PM   #29
Vortex Media

Thanks, Bob and Chris.
Yes. I am enjoying the move to Florida. Tons of stuff to shoot. The most photogenic launch of the year is coming up in a couple of weeks and then I am on the road until November.
Old November 20th, 2019, 02:51 PM   #30
Trustee

Doug, I sold my first clip on Shutterstock. I followed the instructions on that great course of yours and it really worked. Thank you. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land