DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Exploring Crow Creek (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/536664-exploring-crow-creek.html)

Mark Williams March 27th, 2019 07:05 PM

Exploring Crow Creek

A relaxing day in the National Forest exploring a creek on the last day of winter. Shot on a Panasonic GH5 camera and the following lenses: Panasonic 12-60, 45-175, and Olympus 60mm macro as well as 75-300. Other equipment used was a Benro S-6 tripod, Tascam DR-40 audio recorder. Edited with Edius 8 Work Group. Music “The Morning After” by Ali Goldstein. License purchased from Music Vine invoice number 90xxx. Best viewed in 2K or 4K.

Doug Jensen March 28th, 2019 08:19 AM

Re: Exploring Crow Creek

Great stuff, as always Mark. You've certainly got that camera dialed-in nicely. I notice that some of the white water looks a little clipped. Is it clipped before you upload or does it become clipped at Vimeo? I've had that problem on Vimeo as well, where video looks great before I upload it and then some things looked clipped online. Is that your experience? Lately I've been trying to keep almost everything below 100 IRE just to play it safe, but it feels so limiting. Your thoughts?

Mark Williams March 28th, 2019 08:33 AM

Thanks Doug. It was a little clipped when I shot it. I usually shoot on overcast days but sometimes you just got to make the best you can with what you are given.

Ronald Jackson March 29th, 2019 01:24 AM

Nice video, could you please explain "clipped?

Ron

Mick Jenner March 29th, 2019 07:42 AM

Beautiful as usual Mark. Shame you did not have that completed earlier, would have walked the last UWOL challenge by a country mile.

Mick

Bob Safay March 29th, 2019 08:04 AM

Mark, another great video. I have always loved your video colors and camera movement. It is always a pleasure for me to sit back with a cup of coffee and watch your waterfalls. Mesmerizing! I need to spend more time in the north Georgia mountains looking for these magnificent falls that you always manage to locate. Keep them coming, Bob

Mark Williams March 29th, 2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson (Post 1949878)

Ron

In this case the clipped scenes are the water shots that were in bright sunlight and not properly exposed to preserve detail.

Mark Williams March 29th, 2019 09:24 AM

Thanks Mick. Bob, lots of cool places in N. GA. Sadly the old knees are limiting how far I can venture.

Doug Jensen March 29th, 2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson (Post 1949878)
Ron

As Mark already said, "clipped" is when the brightest parts of the image exceed a certain threshold and there are no more details left in them. That threshold could be anywhere from 100 IRE to 109 IRE depending on where and how the video is being viewed. Sometimes clipping occurs at the time of shooting due to overexposure and there is no way to undo the damage. Sometimes clipping occurs during editing if someone is careless with their levels when they grade the footage. And sometimes clipping can occur when the footage is technically okay but is displayed somewhere that can't handle levels above 100 IRE. You can see clipping in this video in some of the bright white waterfalls shots.

Tim Lewis April 7th, 2019 06:18 AM

Always nice and relaxing to watch your work, Mark. I miss seeing the squirrels outside our dining room in Canada, such friendly chaps.

Mark Williams April 7th, 2019 07:58 AM

Thanks Tim, glad that you enjoyed it.