Super Bloom: Anza-Borrego desert at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old April 20th, 2019, 11:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Super Bloom: Anza-Borrego desert

This year the desert experienced a "super bloom" of flowers. I was very fortunate to be able to take several short trips to the southern end of the Anza-Borrego desert, and shot hours of footage to create this five-minute video. You'll see a variety of colorful flowers, great scenery, butterflies, and other insects, all set to music. Includes narration plus names of many of the flowers.

Music:
"Spring"
by Music2Media
Licensed by AudioJungle
https://audiojungle.net/item/spring/9713830
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Super Bloom: Anza-Borrego desert

Wow Ray what a fantastic record of the Anza-Borrego desert in super bloom and what a worthwhile endeavor – it’s not every day we have the privilege of seeing something like this! Thank you for sharing – I enjoyed watching this special window in time that you managed to capture.

I cannot imagine how much time it must have taken you to film this with all the camera work involved. It is beautifully executed. I am really impressed by the wide variety of camera moves and angles of view, slow motion and time-lapses, etc. that you have used to make an otherwise static subject literally come to life. In my experience plants are the most difficult subjects to film as they are not exactly animated - your camerawork has more than made up for it. Your narration and scenes follow seamlessly from one to the next.

It was good to have the names of the flowers (maybe a tad smaller in size) – either you have an incredible knowledge of these species or you did some time-consuming research to get the names. Either way it is impressive. (The Fish-hook Cactus takes the crown!)

If I had to nitpick here, I would say your story could be a little stronger – something to grab one’s attention from the start and a few anecdotes along the way about some of the species. Personally I would also cut the last few seconds off your introductory narration – the part where you drop your head and walk out.

So nice to see something different here. Really well done.

Best regards, Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 11:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the kind comments and helpful suggestions, Marj! I'm glad you enjoyed the video.
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Great to see this super bloom. I liked it.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old May 20th, 2019, 02:19 PM   #5
Trustee

Ray,

I love to see your stuff. Mostly because it motivates me. I am an old pro who has been doing commercial work for many years. It has been my occupation for so long I rarely shoot a frame unless I am getting paid for it. I am that guy who takes 50 pounds of gear on vacation and never opens a case. I see guys like you out there creating good stuff for the love of the craft and it reminds me why I became a photographer in the first place!

I watch all of your videos. I will tell you what I like about this one. I am in Phoenix, AZ. and have been a lifetime outdoorsman no matter where I lived. I spend a lot of time in the desert and traveling around the country for work or pleasure. When on the road you would not believe how often I hear comments like "The desert is so ugly. How can you stand it there?". Some people actually consider the desert stark and lifeless, or yes, UGLY! You went out and found beauty in a place that is misperceived by some and did a great job of showing it off on film. Keep up the good work.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old May 21st, 2019, 10:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you, Steve and Sabyasachi!

Steve, I know what you mean about the negative perceptions some people have of the desert. I hear those same comments myself. I've loved the desert ever since I first saw it as a teen, nearly 50 years ago. So I'm always looking for ways to share the desert's true beauty.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land