GL2 Underwater - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 14th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi Andrew...

The MiniDV format and the DVCam format are substantially different in terms of the track pitch. It's 10um for MiniDV and 15um for DVCam.

The result is a lot fewer dropouts and less tracking problems with DVCam, one of the reasons I switched.

My production partners and I had issues with my MiniDV tapes mis-tracking once in a while. But I've had very few DVCam tapes mis-track. The only time was when one of the cameras needed to be re-aligned. It's been worked on and tapes from that camera work just fine. The only drawback is that 60-minute tapes are now 40-minute tapes. I'm willing to trade the shorter recording time for higher reliability. The tapes are the same. The tape transport speed is different.

Regarding cameras, you might want to look at the PD-170. It has XLR connectors with phantom power. Because of that, it opens up a lot more choices in mic selections. I now use an AT 4051, a cardioid-pattern mic, that has excellent characteristics. Prior to that I was limited to self-powered mics.

Of course, there's the HDV cameras coming out. And there's the DVCProHD Panasonic that I'm considering, the HVX-200. One of the intriguing features is the ability to record-ahead which would help tremendously when waiting for fish to bite. We'd be able to catch the big moment without burning tape.

If 24p is an essential capability, then the HVX-200 might be worth considering. Although I'd be hesitant to take it underwater just yet!
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #17
Major Player

The HVX200 is a little out of my price range, so is the PD170. The VX2100 is slightly more than the GL2, so it is an option I'm considering, mostly because of the larger CCDs.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:33 AM   #18
New Boot

another G2 housing to consider and other resources

Ocean Images also makes a G2 housing. The company has a good reputation on the underwater photo/video boards:
http://www.oceanimagesinc.com/

For those of you interested in underwater video, you might check out the forums at:
http://www.digitaldiver.net/
The forum specific to underwater video is called Moving Pixels

Finally there is another good forum for underwater video at:
http://www.wetpixel.com
they have a digital video forum

I frequent these sites above and try and keep up on underwater photo/video developments. let me know if I can provide any additional information
Kevin Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I ordered an Equinox housing with arms on Monday. Hopefully be here soon!

Chris
Chris C. Corfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #20
Regular Crew

As a note to this thread. As i stated I purchased a GL2 housing from Equinox at the beginning of February. After three months and countless empty promises later, my housing shipped. Gleefull was I, until I opened the box. The housing arrived, with all the extra controls I ordered, but the wrong arms and no LCD. More time goes by and my arms ship, again no LCD. Blame suppliers or misfunctioning LCDs, but it finally shipped Tuesday. I finally tried the housing yesterday, minus LCD, in the local quarry. I had enough waiting. But be forewarned, remove the 6.5 LB weight for fresh water. Instead add a 2lb weight for 60-100' dives and a 3lb for less than. With the 6.5 lb it was so negative you plumit to the bottom. With 2lbs on my dives today, 80' approx, it was slightly positive (no arms or lights), very easy to dive with. I haveto say their product is great, but their customer service is terrible, especially for such an expensive, limited market.

Chris
Chris C. Corfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land