DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   EOS lenses on the XL2: any info? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/56361-eos-lenses-xl2-any-info.html)

Jeff Miller December 16th, 2005 06:43 PM

EOS lenses on the XL2: any info?

I'm pondering the purchase of a Canon still camera and am trying to plan way ahead to the possibility of using it's lenses on my XL2. Does anyone use (or at least have more info then the canon website) the EOS lens adapter?

What I'm basically wondering is stuff like:
Will it run EF and EF-S lenses?
If you put an EF on there does it add to the focal length multiplier inherent of the adapter? How about the EF-S?
Any experiences, good or bad?
This is silly, but on BH it shows a battery next to it. Does the adapter require power?

Thanks, video people! :}

Chris Hurd December 16th, 2005 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Miller
Does anyone use (or at least have more info then the canon website) the EOS lens adapter?

Jeff, you're looking at the world's largest online XL2 user community. This place is filled with discussions about the EF Adapter. Just roll your sleeves up and dig in. All those threads are right here at your fingertips.

Quote:

Will it run EF and EF-S lenses?
EF, yes. EF-S, no, as those lenses will fit only the Canon Digital SLR still photo cameras.

Quote:

If you put an EF on there does it add to the focal length multiplier inherent of the adapter? How about the EF-S?
The focal length is not multiplied; but the resulting field of view is magnified by a factor of 7.8 times when shooting in widescreen 16:9 and 9.6 times when shooting in 4:3. And yes that's with then lens attached. No difference between EF and EF-S except of course that EF-S lenses are not compatible with the EF adapter.

See http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php

and http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article10.php

Hope this helps,

Jeff Miller December 16th, 2005 09:32 PM

Thanks for all the info Chris! This will certainly keep me busy
PS I did search before asking, I guess I didn't look hard enough :}

Ron Armstrong December 16th, 2005 09:39 PM

Check my website for different lenses on the XL1. All these lenses will work with th XL2 also.

Meryem Ersoz December 17th, 2005 12:39 PM

jeff, do a search under "wildlife" to find the best info on EF/EOS lenses (there are several threads) for use with the XL2.

i researched this long and hard before i purchased the canon EF 70-200mm 2.8. i have to respectfully disagree with chris. it is actually *not* easy to cull this information from the dvinfo site. it's there, but it is kind of difficult to find, and there is no single, sustained conversation about using EF lenses with the XL2. you have to piece it together yourself. also, check out www.fredmiranda.com because they do extensive reviewing of EF lenses for dSLRs, including the "L" series EF lenses. (also the best place to pick up used EF lenses and Canon still cameras for cheap.)

it is well worth it, though, if you can afford a long lens. the nature/wildlife/outdoor footage you can get with the XL2/long lens combo is fabulous.

ahem, a wildlife forum would be the logical place to have such a sustained discussion!

Chris Hurd December 17th, 2005 01:03 PM

I really appreciate your feedback, Meryem... perhaps now is the time to begin a Special Interest area dedicated to wildlife videography?

Meryem Ersoz December 17th, 2005 03:42 PM

woo-hoo! excellent!

and if there is anything i can do personally to help you to get a wildlife forum started...

...just e-mail jeff sayre! heh!

no, kidding aside...i know the boys in the "wildlife videographers" thread who have been lobbying for a special interest forum will be thrilled to hear you're considering it. there are definitely people making money with their cams in this niche, and i think it will be happily received. thanks!

Brendan Marnell December 17th, 2005 06:25 PM

By its very nature and location, both of which are extremely varied and often far from controlled conditions, wildlife videography is begging for frank and open discussion. Please let it happen Chris.

There's an infant DV industry out there waiting for a thousand video entrepreneurs.

Steve McDonald December 18th, 2005 04:10 AM

A wildlife video forum would definitely be the fastest-growing one on the website. Every professional monkey-show video jockey would participate. You could expect to see links posted to some spectacular video clips.
Perhaps digital wildlife still-photography could be integrated into it, as many of us pack both kinds of equipment.

Bill Taka December 21st, 2005 01:39 AM

Jeff,

I have just completed my season for a new dvd on wildlife. My equipment is what you have inquired about so I thought I might share my experience. I upgraded this year to the XL2 from an XL1. I use the 20x about 60% of the time. The 4X increase from the XL1 is a pleasure. The reason I use the standard lens so much is to compose my scenes with my CU. Unlike still photography, I like the viewer to know that I'm actually filming wildlife in its natural habitat by going wide either before or after the CU. The other lenses that I use quite frequently are the canon Ef 100-400mm L IS and the Nikon ED 600mm. As Chris mentioned, this will give you extreme lengths due to the multi factor. There are a few factors to consider when you decide what lens to use. These are weather and distance. Using the 4:3 format, at 400mm your focal length is just over 3,800mm. The 600mm is the equivalent of a 60 power Swarovski scope (though not as bright). What this really means is on a sunny day anything over 300 yds will become distorted from temperature inversion. With a 600mm lens, if the wildlife is over 1/4 mile to 1 1/2 miles away you must plan on an early morning or evening shoot or wait for an overcast/cloudy day (I've often waited for 1 cloud to develop to video grizzlies or wolves over a mile away). By the way, when conditions are right the long lens/XL2 combo for wildlife images are spectacular on DVD. You must invest in a proper tripod, plate, video head, sighting scope and remote to provide proper stability and quick target acquisition. One other thing I will bring up since most people consider this as an option. I have a 1.6 extender and rarely use it. It will distort your image. How much is perceptible for each individual. Since I do my own editing, it is unexceptable to my eyes. To my neighbor who subscribes to Netflix, he can't tell the difference.

Ashok Mansur January 2nd, 2007 08:13 AM

EF adapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Armstrong
Check my website for different lenses on the XL1. All these lenses will work with th XL2 also.

Hallo Ron, I checked your website, I noticed FD lens, some other lens attached to XL were not using EF adapter. which adapter U used. and the EF L series lens does't have manual aperture Ring, how the aperture setting made?
Do you any dealer in India?
Ashok

Dale Guthormsen January 6th, 2007 12:01 AM

Bill,

I agree with you about the 1.6. It just isn't sharp enough for my eyes.

I would prefer to use a good fd lens before the 1.6. I also have a 2x century and I think it is better than the 1.6 but others see the same footage think the xl and 1.6 is better, go figure!!

Ron Armstrong January 7th, 2007 08:54 PM

Hi Ashok;
I just noticed your questions about the adapters. The FD and Nikon lenses do not need the EF adapter because the aperture is adjusted with a ring on the lens. The EOS lens aperture is adjusted with a wheel on the XL series cameras. Some digital lenses are not able to be used on the XL cameras, so be careful which lens you are interested in. Adapters were available through third party suppliers; However I think there is only one manufacturer left and he is in Wales I believe. Give me a call and I'll try to find his e-mail address.
I made an adapter for my 50 - 300mm and 600mm FD lenses. I wouldn't recommend trying to manufacture one though!
I do not have a dealer in India; However I do ship to India, or almost anyplace else, regularly, on a direct basis.
Ron
www.ronsrail.com

Bob Thompson January 9th, 2007 03:51 AM

For lens mounts/adaptors, I have Les Bosher to be extremely reliable

http://www.lesbosher.co.uk/

Bob Thompson